Building insurance cover flood due to plumbing

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by PropertyInsight, 9th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

A handyman helped me to re-modern the kitchen and accidentally broke the kitchen plumbing and causing damage the kitchen floor and walls. I am wondering if Terries Sheer landlord insurance and /or Commonwealth bank insurance cover this damages?

2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

My first thought would be to claim from the handy man's insurance.
    He should make good for the damage he's done.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yeah but I paid cash. :rolleyes:

4. PropertyInsight

The property is vacant. My property handed the door key to a handy man so that he can access and fix the kitchen. The 2 days after, property manager went to the property to check his work and found the flood and pipe broken. She called out emergency plumber and electrician to fix the problems due to the flood. The handy man did not acknowledge about the pipe leaking issue. So, it is hard to ask him for compensation.

I called my building insurance (CommInsure). Unfortunately, they cover max $500 for liquid-escaped damages. At the moment, plumbing and electricity have been fixed. The floor and carpentry have to be assessed by insurer.

I am going to talk to handyman about professional indemnity insurance and see how he responses to this request.

Do you have any advice?

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Who organised the handy man? You say he was “helping you”? Were you present?
    Who paid - you or PM? If the PM, why was cash paid, and why paid before work checked?
    Do you have an official receipt?
    Do you have written statements from the plumber and electrician as to the reason for the subsequent leakage?

Answers to these will determine who may be held responsible.
    Marg

6. PropertyInsight

1. Cash paid is from Scott reply - not myself
    2. PM organised handyman and no one except the handyman is at the property when the handyman fixed the kitchen

3. handyman sent me the invoice/bank transfer to handyman
    4. I am going ask the PM who organised plumber and electrician for the reason of leakage

7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Why was an electrician required to fix a flood issue?

As suggested, get the plumber to provide a statement of what he believes is the cause of the broken pipe.