Building inspection prior to auction, does it make the vendor think you’d spend more?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Nina00, 22nd Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nina00

Nina00 Well-Known Member

When doing a building and pest inspection prior to an auction for a PPOR that you’re interested in, does it make the REA & vendor think that you’re going to spend higher than the advertised price just became you’re willing to do your due diligence and pay for a B&P?

Do you speak to the agent first to ask whether it’s even worth your while spending that money on the inspection? How do you even do this without getting them excited or thinking that you’re going to spend a **** load more than asking price? (which I’m not)

Interested in your thoughts.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

If I was selling and someone wanted to do a prior B&P, I'd be thinking
    "This person is serious"
    At the same time however, I'll be thinking
    "Crap, they're going to find all those problems areas I was hoping people would overlook by going to Auction"

So it works both ways....

The Y-man

3. The Y-man

One rude thing to do is to get the B&P done, and then at the final open, loudly point out all the faults to the other prospects (eg. stand discussing the faults with your partners in crime while waiting for the auction to begin) :D

"Oh, did you see that huge rain leak... Wow, is that pergola council approved? How about that gigantic crack in the bedroom..."

The Y-man

4. Nina00

Nina00 Well-Known Member

Getting the buyers agent to mention all these things at the auction is a great idea!!

5. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

As the property is going to be auctioned, you either get the reports done beforehand or don't bother with them - you can't negotiate the price if faults are found anyway. If the property is for sale by private treaty then my answer (as the seller) would be that if you don't get the B&P reports before finalising your offer and issues show up then I am not going to negotiate with you on a price reduction.

This is why I like the ACT approach where a B&P report is attached to the contract - organised by the seller and ultimately paid for by the purchaser on settlement. Saves multiple B&P reports being prepared.

Marg4000 likes this.
  6. Nina00

Nina00 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t trust a report that was organised by a seller though.
    I’m in Melbourne.
    If I bought privately then I’d put in ‘subject to building inspection’.
    Most are auctions here unfortunately.

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This!

I've bought a few at auction. Never once have we done a B&P. Now I'm not going to recommend anyone else to follow suite. Mind you, the kind of properties we buy are usually going to get a thorough reno & Hubby is a skilled tradesman.

8. The Y-man

If the B&P is done by a "proper" company, should be fine.

The Y-man

Nina00 likes this.
  9. The Y-man

Private Sale, I definitely prefer to do a B&P BEFORE talking any price, and go without the "subject to B&P". Have a look at the posts in PropertyChat of all the times people discovered bad things through B&P but could not get out because the conditions still met things like "satisfactory". They could not even negotiate a price reduction because again, there was no legal basis on the clause they put on the contract.

The Y-man

10. Nina00

Nina00 Well-Known Member

Because the market is so unpredictable and underquoting is rampant here, I don’t want to spend thousands doing B&P inspections on multiple properties selling at auction. One or 2 ok.

11. The Y-man

That's why I have never bought at Auction :)

The Y-man

12. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

In the ACT the inspections are done by a licenced operator and I understand there is legislation that allows the buyer to rely on the report.

Nina00 likes this.
  13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

B&P reports have conditions to their inspection ie visible inspection only. I would not be relying on a report like its ironclad.

Very handy to negotiate a final offer and it does indicate commitment but agents dont care if you love it lots or just a little as long as your offer is the highest. Some agents will try to push you towards making a "subject to"offer but its illogical to offer a high number then change your mind. They may hurry you along to make it a bidding war. Offers subject to inspection have limits on what is accepted as serious defects. An inspector may find a tonne of minor things which can be costly but not grounds to end the offer. Better to have a report that indicates these issues so you can negotiate down from a position of strength. That said a vendor may not concede on price too. They may admit the house has some defects and its not their concern.

14. Nina00

Nina00 Well-Known Member

It’s an auction and they won’t accept prior offers. The B&P inspection is for my own peace of mind. I know it’s a waste of money if I don’t win the auction but it’s not a risk I’m willing to take especially on an older property that looks like it needs lots of work.

15. wally

wally Member

Prior to auction? Makes no difference, auction means you are bidding against other buyers. Unless the one vendor bid is higher due to this.

16. wally

wally Member

Isn’t this what everyone does?
    Oh look at the size of this tiny room.
    Oh this kitchen needs to be ripped out.
    Oh honey, this bathroom is from the 1970s.
    Hey the gutters are rusted.
    I can see into the neighbours bathroom.

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Some might find this appealing.