Building Inspection found structural water damage

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Schwaino, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Schwaino

Schwaino Member

Currently selling our PPOR and the purchaser had a building and pest inspection done and the building inspection found water damage to a bearer, there's also alot of water under the house. The damage that's done has taken years he said. I had a plumber out to see where he could find the water coming in. He got on the roof and found a few spots where water has run down and said it has probably been like that from day dot. I'm wondering who is liable? The townhouse was signed off in 2007. I'm going to call the VBA tomorrow and find out if the builder is liable for the leaks. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I've attached some photos

Attached Files:

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If it's outside the 6.5 or so years, you might not have any luck with the builder. However some builders will still fix it for the good will and because they are responsible people.

However, this should have been spotted in your annual (?) termite and wood pest inspection so some of the onus may be on you.

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2016
  3. Schwaino

Schwaino Member

I don't recall having an annual termite and wood pest inspection however I can chase that up with the owners corporate

4. MRTLR1000

MRTLR1000 Active Member

you need to get a plumber to do an inspection of all your storm water drains. if ones busted you an claim it on Insurance. I assume one hasn't been done, as you said plumber looked on roof.if it is the roof, its maintenance unless you can confirm structural defect. thats what the 7 years will cover. You need to engage an engineer or building consultant to investigate and confirm.

Schwaino likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Roof plumber might be worth a call.

This is going to be more common thanks to that step up brick wall in photo 5 and 6.this rubbish feature brick wall new places have will be letting water in, how quick depends how decent job the roofer did at the time. There may also be other issues going on in your case

6. Schwaino

Schwaino Member

I was up there today and the flashing was on an angle so that water would get over the tiny lip and into the eve. Its all fixed up now but the damage has been done already

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Now get on to a builder and have the rotted timber replaced.
    Marg

dmo and wylie like this.