Building in Perth

Discussion in 'Development' started by gach2, 8th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Not really developments but close enough

Anyone of the bigger guys doing builds within 200k? on cookie cutters?

Have seen some H+L going for early 3s so guessing its possible (just had a look now so will follow up)

Did have a talk with someone who was 'saying' 240k for 135m2 3/2/2 or 260k for a 195m2 4/2/2 (this had an extra room + home theatre). Wow 20k for 60m2

Though 260k for 195m2 seems pretty good (current pricing)

I completely understand prices are generally best case scenarios (even if that) and end up lot higher but this is more for my research purposes.

2. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

Prices you mentioned are possible with many project builders like Commodore homes, Blueprint homes etc but devil is in details. It will not include siteworks and will be budget version only. Will also depend on design, frontage etc. For e.g. skinny homes with narrow frontages cost more than normal lot with 15m frontage.

3. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Cheers
    Blueprint seems to have one for 194k that will prob fit perfectly without any modification

Cant even find Commodore anymore (seems like they changed to GO but being BGC prob on the bottom of list)

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

For a cookie cutter block, no building to boundary (except for garage wall), minimal site costs, not turnkey then there might be a couple left but it would be in the BGC family of companies and fraught with risks of $$$ blowouts and/or subpar work

38215 and Carter007 like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

variations. Ouch

6. Carter007

Carter007 Active Member

Westminster, what would your ball park be for 3x150m2 triplex, 3x2, corner block inc site costs (relatively flat, sand, no clay). I'll be testing the market soon with more the small to mid tier builders. Any recommendations?

7. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Thats pretty much it (might not even need to build garage to boundary)
    Land will be cleared
    Current contours shows a 100mm difference within the lot (flattest lot ive dealt with)
    All services within 10m of the dwelling (more like 5m)

Got a few more to contact but expecting to prob be 220k+

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Probably around $750k turnkey (with a $725-775k range). I've got some people I can recommend but many are at capacity so it will depend on when you're looking to actually build.

Benno, 38215, Leslie and 1 other person like this.
  9. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Turns out only Homestart seems to be the only builder who can do H+L wiht the H component being advertised (just house and provisional site cost) for 176-199k for a 3/2/2 or 4/2/2

I know they are BGC but do they really have a bad rep. Most of their poor reviews are issues faced by majority in the current industry (delays etc)

Looking at possibly marketing H+L packages with them on some vacant land I have coming up

10. 38215

38215 Well-Known Member

I'm on the ground getting quotes and it seems things are literally coming down to Earth as we speak. Tilers, painters, retic, demo all ready to quote and start within days Reasonable quotes.

From chatting to people, they feel stockmarket crash and interest rate rises hace caused a huge decline in private demand. You'd think having to head back to the office could be a factor too, easier to postpone that reno and live with the shabby bathroom tiles if one is never home anyway.

I feel strongly we should see a flow on to the quoted cost of building within 6-12 months. Perhaps somewhat mitigated by materials and transport costs, but still...

have you tried a builder broker like Home Designs — Building Broker Centre

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Try $800,000-850,000 today

My builder is not cheapest or most expensive but what he is quoting today (200k more than when I started building 18 months ago) and he advised another builder is quoting similar. Closer to $800,000 will be basic specs

Prices as I type continue to rise, supply delays, shortage of trades pushing prices up

Benno, Carter007 and Westminster like this.
  12. 38215

38215 Well-Known Member

Not saying this isn't the case, but important to understand human psychology, most importantly 'recency bias'.

We have come through a huge price shock.

Some people will just be petrified of underquoting.
    Some people will want no work, head to Bali and enjoy their 'plunder'.
    Some people will want to hold on to their new, increased rates.

Give it 6-12 months.

Bottom line is: who is starting new builds? Not many.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would not use them

What about getting a draftee to design and then shop it??

38215 likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would not be building in Perth market today, too much risk

Just cos you sign a build contract does not mean builder will not increase price. Price is not locked in

Also some builders are struggling with cash flow why we are seeing many go bust. Another this week

15. 38215

38215 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I am saying: better wait. Very dynamic situation.

Some will go bust.

Some will start reducing prices.

All should speed up.

You might finish a built at the same time, whether you start today or in 6 months, as existing pipeline gets done and resources freed up.

MTR likes this.
  16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’m getting quotes northern suburbs for new shower screen, windows, carpenter - doors. Its 5-10 days to get written quote after they measure up. It’s two to three months before they start on your job. My first quote back is crazy high. Maybe it’s just who I chose..I’m getting more.

17. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Not actually looking to build or invest further into it at this stage.
    Was just looking at H+L packages to market vacant lots. Been advised they dont need to advertise addresses publicly so guess it wont hurt.

Shankiedoodle likes this.
  18. Shankiedoodle

Shankiedoodle Well-Known Member

Are these prices before upgrades and finishings? I'm assuming not. Also any idea what kind of siteworks they are charging you?

19. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Off course not haha
    This is base price + 20k site cost

While you might not be able to control site costs, if upgrades are a concern better of with a builder that has them as standard (or promotional)

20. Shankiedoodle

Shankiedoodle Well-Known Member

Ah fair enough. And yeah BGC is a bit shocking. I have friends building with them, and they got both price rises and build times of about 3 years.