Building cost nsw

Discussion in 'Development' started by Nath, 5th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nath

Nath Active Member

Hello

Just wondering we’re peoples small development build costs are coming in around at the moment per square meter ? Like dual occ’s and townhouse/villas
    Thinking around $1500-$1600
    For basic builds.
    Capital city vs regional much difference?
    Would be interesting to compare states also

Thank you for replies

Gforce likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fabs and Shogun like this.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2019
    Ben_j and lixas4 like this.
  4. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

Cost per square metre only works after you finished your building or at design stage when you are building a VERY standard design with a project builder (assuming that your land is large, flat, with all services available and no impact to Sydney Water sewer pipes and you will go with their basic specifications).

In any other situation I recommend preparing a preliminary design with an architect and sending it to a builder or quantity surveyor for a preliminary estimate. You may have to spend some money but it is the only way to get accuracy if that's important to you.

I have used the BMTQS website a few times the past (which Scott No Mates mentioned above), it is very good but you need to have some experience in design/construction to make the correct choices in their system, otherwise you risk being too optimistic in your estimate.

5. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Depends on a number of things and your interpretation of "basic".

At a minimum I would build medium finishes and my interpretation of medium finishes is stone bench tops, floor to ceiling tiling, Westinghouse level appliances, etc. This would be around $2,000 per sqm turnkey so thats basic landscaping, fencing, demo, GST included, etc.

Cost will be highly dependent on the plans, amount of excavation, site access, (so many to list).

Gforce and Sackie like this.
  6. Vantage15

Vantage15 Member

Not far off commencing the build of a dual occ that will come to around $1850/m2 turnkey - i.e. including design, approvals, construction, additional services, driveways, landscaping, fencing, etc. Finishes are mid-range - stone benchtops, full height tiling in bathrooms, ducted air. We have also gone for modern façades. There is a bit of slope to the block so we have some cut/fill and retaining to do. On a flat block would probably be looking around $1750/m2. Standard finishes and façades would reduce further. We looked at what else was available and selling in the area, price point, time on market, and also spoke to a number of builders and a few local real estate agents before deciding on the level of finish.

Site is in NSW Hunter Region. Sydney build costs may be slightly less, but I am not sure on authority fees.

I would think you need to allow a little more in your figures depending on site conditions and finishes. Definitely allow some contingency when you're looking at feasibility.

Gforce likes this.
  7. XBenX

XBenX Well-Known Member

Who are you building with Vantage?

Gforce likes this.
  8. Vantage15

Vantage15 Member

Have PM'd you Ben!

XBenX likes this.