building and pest inspection

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Danielt25, 13th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Danielt25

Danielt25 Well-Known Member

hi, I have a contract on my house which is subject to building and pest inspection. The inspection has just been done. The buyer's solicitor says they will accept the building and pest condition of the contract on the basis the following is attended to prior to settlement by a qualified tradesperson at my expense:

1. repair loose tiles around the pool area

Now, they are wishing to settle ASAP, so I don't want to accept to repair the tiles and then find I cannot get a tradie to perform the work in time prior to settlement and then find I'm getting penalised for delaying the contract settlement.

I have considered getting a few quotes and forwarding them on to the buyer and saying I will deduct $x .... but I don't want to agree that I will repair the loose tiles and therefore take liability for the tradie's work etc, or worse, have to micromanage the tradie/new owner to gain access to the property after settlement.

What's the best wording for what I want to do to acknowledge that I will pay for the work but the buyer can organise the tradie at their own convenience, and myself not being held responsible for the tradie's work.

Would something like this work:

I cannot agree to repair the loose tiles around the pool area. However, I have obtained quotes for the repair and I offer $x as financial compensation, to satisfy building and pest condition of the contract.

Last edited: 13th May, 2019
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

wording of a contract is legal advice so best to ask your lawyer. Your suggested wording is not recommended

3. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Why not just counter offer to reduce the price by $x to go unconditional on b&p?

wylie likes this.
  4. Danielt25

Thanks, i am happy to reduce my price by whatever the quote comes in at, i just need to make sure that my reduction in price doesn't make me still liable for the defects they wish repaired. But i don't wish to sound arrogant or hostile about it!

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

They want to settle early.

Agree on the condition that the repairs are not done but the price is reduced by xxx, and the buyers accept the property “as is”.

Your solicitor will do the correct wording.
    Marg

wylie and Propertunity like this.
  6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Agree. your solicitor should do this as part of the cost involved in transfer

Terry_w likes this.
  7. Danielt25

I know. But initially I said told conveyancer I cant agree to fix loose tiles because I cant guarantee they will be fixed before settlement (since I'm relying on a tradie to turn up etc), and agent told me buyer was ready to tear contract up!

So have to word my offer (to conveyancer) in such a way that the conveyancer doesn't just convey my intentions as arrogant or hostile!

8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

This is a legal matter. Nice has no legal definition that i know of. Why are you so scared of everyone else in this?

Give them something extra. If they want early settlement you might be saving on interest anyway.

Contact with your conveyancer doesnt have to be a short email. Call them or meet them, tell them exactly what you want and ask them to repeat it.

Last edited: 14th May, 2019
    Terry_w likes this.
  9. Danielt25

Buyer is quite emotional / keyboard warrior (according to the agent) and if gets a hot head the contract could be torn up! Have to tread carefully without offending buyer

Last edited: 14th May, 2019
  10. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Why are you speaking with the agent? Once you have provided the contract to your solicitor just deal with them. The agent is irrelevant.

Terry_w likes this.
  11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The agent is messing with you. First rule of property - don’t believe everything the agent says!!

The buyer wants the house. The buyer wants to settle early.

The buyer wants to vary the contract. You won’t sound “arrogant or hostile” by doing it in legal talk.

Leave it to your solicitor to talk to the buyer’s solicitor.
    Marg

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you care if this buyer walks away? We've had this stuff put on us and stood up to the demand that we pay for something. It is a risk. They bought anyway, and it was just a "try on" to get a reduced price.

Much of how you respond depends on how much you need this buyer.

13. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If the buyer wants to settle early, they want the house. And they have a schedule.