Building above sewer

Discussion in 'Development' started by first timer, 27th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. first timer

first timer New Member

Hi. I am looking to undertake my first development on an 809m2 (20m frontage) double block in North Brisbane. I am looking to clear the house (post war) and either sell both lots or retain one lot to build a house to live in. Unfortunately I dont have the funds to build on both blocks. My main questions/issues are: there is a sewer line through the land with manhole on the side boundary - is it an easy process to build (slab) over an easement line? My other question is on CGT implications and how to limit the damage? Thanks for any assistance

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

HI @first timer, Welcome to the forum.

I would be engaging a town planner to have a look at your site and give you specific feedback as it relates to your situation. Regardless of the answers you get here you will still need to do this. With regards to CGT I would be talking to a good accountant. You'll get good feedback from other posters but in the end you'll need to make the call to those two professionals and discuss.

3. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

From my experience I would not be putting anything permanent ie concrete slab over a sewage easement. If it was for a driveway or something you could always use a material that is easily moved and replace with no damage. Is there a designated distance of the easement on title?

4. first timer

first timer New Member

Thanks leo and mick for your comments. Sorry but I incorrectly referred to it as an easement. It is isn't a registered easement just a sewer line identified on dial before you dig. I am not sure if this changes things. I've read you make an application to quu for building above infrastructure but I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of whether you can actually place the dwelling above the sewer line. Again thanks for your help. Any advice on a good planner to engage would also be appreciated.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

It's a lot more complicated than just slabbing over a sewer.

• Some authorities won't allow any building over (and I personally agree with that)
    • Some will allow it as long as the foundations go below the zone of influence of the sewer (see this link for a diagram: Building On Pipeline Easements (Or Close To))
    • Some will only allow if the pipe is excavated and surrounded (encased) with concrete.

Best thing is to talk with the water authority.

bob shovel and g-dub like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

CGT doesnt apply to a development in many instances. If your intent is to build to sell its a isolated profit making transaction and fully taxable.

Our developer toolkit explains many of the tax issues

Attached Files:

7. first timer

first timer New Member

Thanks Paul for your advice. Much appreciated

8. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

@Westminster is the sewer queen! And I don't mean that she's always in a sh1tty mood, she's had experience with similar situations!

But in my opinion I think you need to contact the authority to which the easement belongs eg the water authority (WA). They can then advise how far into the easement you can build and what the structural requirements are.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. g-dub

g-dub Well-Known Member

+1 Talk to your water authority.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My +1 talks with authority too!

g-dub likes this.
  11. g-dub

g-dub Well-Known Member

my +1's +1 does the same:p

12. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

I looked into building a garage at the back of my property in the Parramatta council and was told i had to make the sewer a non serviceable item by concrete encasing. I figured i can access a digger, labourer, concrete and Reo through my work, should only add a week to the works.

I though great, looked it up and asked who need to inspect the pipe and Reo (Thinking Private Certifier) before get the concrete is poured and was told that the waterboard certified plumber i use for excavation will sign off the works. I wasn't allowed to do the work myself.

So found a waterboard approved plumber and the cost added between $15,000 and $20,000 depending on the size of my double garage and i had to go 1mtr into the neighbours yard and remove or work around a large mango tree due to the location of the garage.

13. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Flip !!

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Also ask QUU about a structural liner. Quu have had some big packages of pipe relining going on the last few years so hopefully have learnt something :p
    Care to share the sewer plan! A picture tells 523 words:D

Scott No Mates likes this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The eroding effect of inflation.

Mill likes this.