Building a school

Discussion in 'Development' started by Melbpositivegeared, 10th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Melbpositivegeared

Melbpositivegeared Well-Known Member

I've had a crazy idea for a number of years now. I want to build a school. I want to hold on to it for cashflow yet I'm not familiar with how the market works.

Does the government lease school buildings? Should I be playing private?

How would I even find out the basics? Is anyone involved in this as an investment?

Who can I speak to to get an understanding of the industry?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

...why would you even think that its a good cashflow investment?

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

This may be more of a business idea than an investment idea.

People who build schools generally have an interest/ passion for the school, education system they are building and promoting.

I'm not sure if there is a market for just commercially building a school and then trying to get someone to take a lease on it????

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

The money/return is not in the infrastructure, it's in the classes. An Education Centre can be set up in a number of zones, and it's generally only parking that is a constraint. Look to the management, what's on offer, business model first I'd suggest

I have clients who run tutoring "schools" - the $ are in the operation

5. Melbpositivegeared

It certainly wouldn't be "build it and hope they come" - It would be purpose built for someone who's contracted to lease it for 30 years.

I imagine that there are schools that are leasing their property just like a lot of businesses do.

I have some contacts that would make the build very cheap in return for the media coverage and attention - but that's a long story.

I imagine there may be grants eligible too. For me and maybe the tenant.

I've heard of one guy making a fortune doing this and I'm attempting to reach out to him. There's really not much info that I've been able to find from someone who's done it before.

Xenia likes this.
  6. Melbpositivegeared

Just that I have access to a very cheap build and a media platform to offer in return.

If I can build a house at 60% of cost, then there's a huge equity return and chances are if I picked the right area a strong cashflow return.

I'm wondering if this will translate across to schools? But I can't pretend to even remotely understand what the market is here and finding someone who's done it is proving difficult

7. Melbpositivegeared

Thanks. This specific concept would be purpose built from scratch.

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Never heard of it being done for primary or secondary schools - but universities definitely yes.

The Y-man

Melbpositivegeared likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.