Builder for duplex

Discussion in 'Development' started by imbi3, 28th Feb, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. imbi3

imbi3 Well-Known Member

Hi. I am looking to build a duplex in Mentone VIC on 791 m2. Have spoken to Metricon. Their top of the range cost is $1m for 4BR (27 squares) or $1.1m for 5BR (31 squares). I have trawled the forum but can't really hone in on any specific builder recommended by the forum.
    Has anyone build a duplex in VIC Bayside area recently with budget around $1.1m (+20% contingencies for items not included in the contract like demo, heating/cooling, driveway, landscaping etc). One of the main reasons I was looking at Metricon as I heard their build time is quicker compared to custom builder.
    Any suggestion or advice is welcome. Thanks

2. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Don't go custom unless there is a need for it (funky block size/shape, area demands custom, etc).

Project home builders are easier to work him especially if you are starting out.

$1.1mil sounds about right for 31 squares and its good that you are already factoring in non contract items like driveway, landscaping, etc.

Just ensure that you understand what you are getting in the inclusions so that you can factor for any variations (these will be where they sting you).

samiam and imbi3 like this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Some of the higher end builders will let you modify project home designs, which is what we did with Rawson. Rawson, for instance, own Thrive Homes, which is more of a budget builder, and doesn't allow modification of the project hone design.

With the larger builders, I've heard that they deliberately delay projects so that they can impose EOY or EOFY price increases. Ours certainly took a lot longer than expected and had a significant price rise.

We've just moved into a new estate. The people who have been happiest with the speed of the build have been those who have built with smaller (but not too small) builders - sometimes local builders. Though there might be risk with this approach.

imbi3 likes this.
  4. Swuzz

Swuzz Well-Known Member

Hi I'm looking to do a duplex not too far from you and of the builders I've spoken to Semore seem to be the lowest price option. They have a project in progress on Nepean Hwy just south of Mordi roundabout. However when I spoke to them they made it clear they don't get involved with non-standard stuff so you'd have to be ok with their spec levels (which are on their site). I found about them from another site where they were put forward as a good option in the lower price space but the deeper I looked there were certainly mixed experiences.

5. imbi3

imbi3 Well-Known Member

Will catch up with Masterbuild after Easter. Will see how that goes

6. Mr.Dollar

Mr.Dollar Member

I went through the exact same exercise you are going through about 4 years ago and when I was about to do a Dual Occ.
    Just make sure you compare "apples with apples" with inclusions is all I can say when you price things up.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The likes of homeworld display villages have builders all lined up. They almost all have duplex designs (kdr is amassive busiens these days) and can price it and all inclusion packages to suit.

8. SandraKay

SandraKay Member

Is that 1.1m for both? That’s crazy cheap! We just had boutique homes quote us 1.25m and a few other small builders quote us 1.5-1.6m which fess definitely outside of our budget.

9. Mr.Dollar

Mr.Dollar Member

Smaller builders don't have a chance competing with the big ones who have huge buying power.
    $1.1 - $1.15 million would be the price for both with Masterpiece. When I build 2 with them 3-4 years ago, it cost me $960K for both !! ... but building costs have gone up dramatically since then.