Managed Funds BT Imputation Fund?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Ems, 5th Jul, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Has anyone invested in this fund?

I have been doing a bit of research and see the returns for this fund has been good for the past 4 years.

As I'm new to all Managed funds is there anything that I need to look out for in regards fees and such?

Cheers
    Ems

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Never invest in a fund that has an exit fee - they are evil, and you have enough choice elsewhere to never need consider such funds (fortunately they are rare these days).

You can avoid most entry fees into retail managed funds my using a discount fund broker (there are several).

Don't forget that we've had a very strong market the past 4 years - makes most funds that invest in Aussie shares look good. Compare it to its peers (funds with similar trading/investing styles) to ensure that it is at least up there with the others.

3. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

I have had a small allocation to this fund for a few months and it has been one of the better performers - doesnt tend to bomb as much as some of the others during the down days, but doesnt jump as much as some of the others on the up days. havent seen what the june distribution was like yet though.

4. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies.

Sim - The fund has produced on average around 16% since inception in 98 if I remember rightly. In the mid 20's+ for the past 4 years.

I'm looking for a regular investment plan and you can do this with a minimum of $2k. I'm also looking at the Navra retail fund too. (Anyone know what Navra has done this past year)

I think I'll be using investsmart so the entry fees are waived.

5. gekko_99

gekko_99 Member

There's also a BT Geared Imputation Fund now which also looks interesting; I imagine this is the same as the other just with internal gearing.

It only has 1 year performance (not even sure if its a full year) and compares with the ungeared one as follows:

Geared one - 27.68% distribution and 20.90% growth - 48.58% total.
    Ungeared one - 4.25% distribution and 29.21% growth - 33.47% total.

I would be interested on why growth would be lower in the geared one; actually its probably distributed capital gains.

6. lorrimer

lorrimer Well-Known Member

I too have held this fund since last November.
    In fact I bought into five funds at that time, two for income (Navra & BT Imputation) and three for capital growth.
    The two best performers have been Navra & BT. I'm now seriously considering selling some of the non performing growth funds and putting the money to work with Navra and Bt and maybe reinvest the distributions.
    Will probably end up with a bigger tax bill, but better to make some money and give the tax man something, than hold a fund on margin that is losing money.
    Don't know yet how tax effective the income is with the BT imputation fund, but should find out soon

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia