VIC Brunswick

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Anhgreathouse, 27th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Anhgreathouse

Anhgreathouse Member

A single female in her 30's looking to buy a PPOR at a rather central location to allow ease of travel to work both to the Eastern and Western suburbs by car. Looking at new/near new landed property - low maintenance townhouse/house.

Currently researching Brunswick West and wondering if anyone could share some insight into their experience with that suburb. Safety is my main priority. I am particularly interested to know if there is any pocket of the area that should be avoided for safety reason or any other issues. I could see from RACV burglary statistics that the burglary rate is below average. Also wondering what one thinks of the capital gains from a duplex townhouse in this area? RealEstate.com has quoted 7% compound growth rate for houses over past 5 years. Would be great to hear from the brain trust.

Thanks in advance.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hot spot for all the wrong reasons right now!

The Y-man

AlphaCentauri likes this.
  3. The Y-man

Maybe better close to the ring rd further north?

Alternatively, closer to the M1 (outbound to east, westgate to west)

The Y-man

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  4. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

To me, Brunswick is more the kind of area you rent someone else’s new apartment/townhouse, rather than buy your own.

5. Anhgreathouse

Anhgreathouse Member

Lol that is so very true! Wonder if house prices would be affected by this.

6. Anhgreathouse

Anhgreathouse Member

I do concur in a way. Never had I thought I would look in this area but work travel requirements have called for a more central location. I was looking more around Alphington area but options are limited right now. Rather than renting from others, I would like to get onto the property wagon and hold on to something with CG potentials. And I do think I will grow out of it in 10 years' time, by which time hopefully it can be converted into a rental property.

I will continue looking in the mean time. Any other insight/opinion is much appreciated.

7. AlphaCentauri

AlphaCentauri Member

For landed properties, and since you mention you'll be driving - how bout Pascoe Vale?

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  8. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

I have 3 colleagues that live in brunswick west. No issues at all with crime. Just be prepared to have renters around (more likely the closer you move to sydney rd). You would probably want to be on streets with predominantly owner occupiers (hope you have good neighbours) and steer clear of the citylink.

You can check what cars people drive on the street to give you a feel of who your neighbours are. Checking whether windows are barricaded, upkeep of nature strip/front yard and graffiti may also tell you alot.

In my experience, I have only been burguled once by an unknown nearby renter (never met him but my neighbour caught him) who jumped in from their backyard across the fence into mine. I have also heard of tradies in nearby sites breaking into homes in all suburbs as they know when you all leave for work etc.

But sometimes the most hedious crimes in a certain suburb are caused by people living in another suburb far far away so it is impossible to say. Having great neighbours and feeling safe whilst at home and walking around goes a long way.

9. SydneytoMelbourne

SydneytoMelbourne Well-Known Member

Also try Thornbury right next door as well.

10. The Y-man

Given the the OP wants to drive from said residence to the eastern and western subs, would it actually be more sensible to live near the on ramp of city link?

The Y-man

11. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Closest on ramp would be on Moreland rd which is more pascoe vale south so living close to city link in bruns west has little benefit.

Youd prob wont need to use the citylink if going to inner west or east as a short drive to Brunswick rd can take you quite easily to footsray/highpoint etc and in the opposite direction to the eastern freeway. Citylink would only help for southeast.

12. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

I agree, there isn't one-size fits all for this...somewhere like Brunswick East/Northcote/Clifton Hill that are more towards Alphington would place the OP somewhere close to both access areas for driving and reasonably close to the city with good transport. However, all these areas will come with a price premium to Brunswick West.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.