Broker needed with salary packaging experience

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Rayan, 13th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Assessors aren't infallible, neither are the systems they use. This morning I proved to an assessor at Westpac over the phone that the system they're using has a bug in it.

Colin Rice and Jess Peletier like this.
  2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yep, had that exact same experience with some other lenders I now avoid as a result.

Its a real bad look when you have to go back to a client and tell them it has been rejected, cause no matter what its the brokers fault, and sometimes it is not!

Jess Peletier likes this.
  3. Colin Rice

Care to share the bug @Peter_Tersteeg ?

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

For some reason it was calculating the living expenses incorrectly. It should take the higher of the stated expenses or post code expenses, then add that to the 0.19% buffer. Their system came up with something completely different and it resulted in a -$1400 difference.

Just goes to show, always ask for a copy of their servicing when they say it doesn't work.

5. Colin Rice

I think St George and Westpac assesors use a different calc than brokers use which does not help with pinpoint accuracy.

One example was the St George online calc didnt auto convert rental income to 80% and had to be calculated manually. Only after quizzing the assesor did I know this.

Its since been corrected in thier system but I assume it hasnt just in case.

Last edited: 15th Aug, 2016
  6. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

100% agreed. The whole income matrix is joke. How to over engineer assessing an income. Take whats given to you by the customer work out how much they are getting paid and assess the loan!

7. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

CBAs has a nice little bug - get to a certain point the more income you earn you jump into the next bracket and your expenses jump up. When the calculators just changes I had a customer where I used some overtime as servicing was tight, few extra thousand dollars p.a but affordablity went down :|

Colin Rice likes this.
  8. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

Always. That way you really get a look at their "logic" too. You get some "mistakes". I did have one where they allowed interest deductions against personal incomes on a trust loan so you win some lose some I guess..