Broken split system. Repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Whitecat, 19th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Then I have an LG split system that is 9 years old it's been used less than 30 times fair dinkum about 2 years ago it got a C5 error now I'm getting around to fixing it I sent some photos to the approved LG repairer who is far away on the south side they responded by email as below (yet have only seen photos). I am not sure whether or not to replace it or have them attempt a repair

"A C5 fault is a communication fault between the indoor and outdoor units.

To supply and install a new indoor and outdoor pc board would be $765.80 incl. GST however the technician will need to investigate what has possible taken out the pc boards, the outdoor can be taken out by the condenser fan motor (additional $124.00 incl.) or the eev coil (nil stock and discontinued).

Our charges are $90.00 plus GST per hour, (travel & time on site) minimum 1hr charge.

Please note that when these parts are fitted and the unit is tested other faulty parts may become apparent. These new faults are not included in this quotation and will be quoted separately if necessary;

Alternatively,

To remove, supply and install a new LG 2.5kw split system (P09AWN-14) would be $1,485.00 incl GST, noting we would reuse your existing ducting and that the indoor unit may have changed in the size dimensions.

All new systems have a 5 year manufactures warranty."

Any advice?

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I personally would get a new one.

This is also why i prefer to stick with brands like Daikin / Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

My run with LG has just been terrible - Not a single LG product I've purchased has been decent.

That said, 9 years, it's had a good run. :)

Sackie and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. Whitecat

I wonder if I can use the existing pipes to save on costs. They were talking about if they can use the existing ones it's cheaper.

4. #house

#house Active Member

Get a new one put in. I just got a new 2.5kw split system installed for just under $1k total after rebates. Cheap time to do it (winter).

Whitecat likes this.
  5. Whitecat

Details please :)

6. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Purchase cost for a new unit same model is $828, install should be around the $500 mark so all up $1328.

LG P09AWN-14 C2.5kW H3.2kW Reverse Cycle Air Con at The Good Guys

LG 2.5kW Premium Reverse Cycle Split System Air Conditioner

If you shop around you may find a larger unit for a similar (or slightly more) cost.

Whether they use the existing pipes or not is up to the installer. Don't suggest it as if there is an issue subsequent to install the installer can blame the 'existing' piping as the problem and blame you.

In your earlier post you mentioned ducting rather than piping. Piping is an integral part of the AC unit the ducting is nothing more than covering for the piping.

7. #house

#house Active Member

As above. I bought a cheap unit from an electrical retailer which came with a cashback. Purchased it during one of the eBay sales, so I got discount from that too. Ended up being just under $600 after discount and rebate. Fujitsu, Kelvinator, Mitsubishi and Pansonic have good rebates going (among others).

For installation I just called around and got a few quotes. It really depends on the complexity of the installation. My house was a very simple installation (back to back wall-mount, single story weatherboard house with standing room underneath, electrical box on same side). Cheapest quote was $400 and they did a great job.

On the other extreme, a two story brick building with no nearby wiring and a long piping run would easily cost double that.

In your case, an existing unit swap should be on the cheaper side.

Re piping - I'd expect the installer to just replace the piping. It doesn't make a big difference to cost and they need to warranty their work.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My main concern would be whether the gas used in the existing system is the same as that for the new system. That is, the newer systems will require different sized condensate lines & the existing will need to be replaced.

Sackie and DaveM like this.
  9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Tough call, sounds like you don't need a reverse cycle unit in Brisbane considering it's lack of use.
    If you do go for the new option Daikin and Fujitsu rarely miss a beat. I've got numerous Fujitsu splits in my house and they get worked hard for 6 months a year and are going strong after 13 years.
    A common problem in the sub tropics and tropics are Asian Gekos getting behind the unit and into the switch board, damaging it.
    I would be tempted personally to pay the call out fee to get a better assessment or even a second opinion.
    I have had one technician advise the PM that a unit needed replacing but I got another quote. Rodents had just chewed through some wiring, the unit was fine.
    Tough call.

10. Whitecat

I sent them photos and they checked that. They won't need replacing.

11. Whitecat

Yes tough call as it's been used less than 30 times in 9 years so makes me wonder if it's a gecko or loose wire.

12. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

If Geckos have got inside the unit the switch board might need replacing unfortunately.

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't see why you can't use the pipework that is in place,what happens with a lot of AC from the heat pump too the blower is,gecko's get into the units and eat the pc boards..

14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

R134 vs r22 gas, different pipe sizes used :(

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Could be a back to back unit and there is very little pipework required,but you are right there may be a difference..

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

17. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

You mean R410a not R134a, R410a is a far greater pressure then R22 (being phased out) hence the pipe change, to suit higher pressure.
    can get up to
    R22 @ 50deg C = 265psi
    R410a @ 50deg C = 430psi

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2016
  18. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yep sorry, r134a is automotive!

19. Whitecat

I have loads of geckos.
    I think I will just replace get a Mitsi or Fujitsu. $830 or $750 for 2.5kw reverse cycle.
    I checked and the refrigerant pipes are modern enough to use with a new one.
    Its a back to back replacement.
    $300-400 install and the newer ones are more pest resistant I have been told. Anyone know which would be best for that?

20. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I have a similar story.
    Parents bought 3 split systems, only installed 2.
    3rd sat in its boxes for 5 years in the spare room.

Parents gave it to me, paid for instal.
    Bloody thing won't turn on.
    Brand new never used and sure enough it happened in the peak of summer.
    So now I've been looking at it on the wall in the lounge in disgust for 6 months haha..

It's a mystral and they are known for this type of thing. Their customer service dept is no longer available as they ceased trading in Australia..

So like you I am in 2 minds as to whether I should get it fixed or just get a new one..

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice