Broken glass from Vandalism

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by QbiK Evolution, 13th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

Hi everyone just wanted to throw out a quick question. A tenant of mine has had a piece of rebar thrown through the window at one of our investment properties. He has had a police report filled out and it seems to be that its nothing to do with him just a random act of violence / vandalism. I believe i allready know the answer but thought id check with some people here first. I imagine i'm responsible for this correct ? Would this come under a landlord insurance policy or a building policy.

Thanks in advance

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Insurance would cover it and you will be up for the excess. Maybe check how much to fix and just pay for it rather than involve the insurer, especially if you have a high excess.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

For a single window pane, pay to fix, probably less than insurance excess. Tax deductible will help.
    Marg

4. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

I have had the same thing happen lately-makes we wonder if the lower socio-economic tennants had a fight but don't want to pay for it?!
    Some of them know the laws-re put in a police report as vandalism and they dont have to pay for damages?!!

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Could be the case... but you cannot prove otherwise. If they know how to get around things, some obviously will.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Most insurers use OBriens for immediate fix and they address the excess directly. It is deductible provided you put same glass back in (ie no special glass)