QLD Brisbane / Tingalpa investment recommendation

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by DYoung31779, 14th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DYoung31779

DYoung31779 New Member

Hi All,

I'm looking at the Tingalpa area for a smsf townhouse investment (long term). Being from Sydney from all reports the area looks pretty sound as an investment as rents look strong, the area being pretty close to the city and the water.

Thoughts?

Cheers

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

go for a standalone house. it is a nice area, but some others are also nice. Apartments / townhouses may be in for a difficult time in Bris cos of oversupply

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Why a townhouse and why Tingalpa? What does the glossy brochure say.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree with @boganfromlogan. The price difference between houses and townhouses is probably small. But for the long term, go for a house, unless the location really is special.

Tingalpa doesn't strike me as particularly nice or special, sorry. I'd also see what options you have either closer to the city or a lot closer to the water. Let's say 700k you could buy a house with water views. I tend to think that's a scarce investment. And that will drive up demand. Later on, put a nicer build on it. And then you may find you own a multi million dollar property. It might be unimaginable to you, but this has happened in Sydney. And I see it in the Redcliffe (Scarborough) area of Brisbane too. Unfortunately while Manly/Wynnum and that whole eastern stretch of coastal down the Redlands is nice, there's no swimming beaches there. It would be really nice if they were.

Alternatively, you can look to some other areas for cashflow. But I guess as you said its for an SMSF then capital growth might be more important for this decision. A townhouse in Tingalpa... why?

Last edited: 15th Dec, 2017
  5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Tingalpa is a fantastic spot to buy a house right now, even more so a couple of years ago when it was cheaper. I wouldn't be buying a house or townhouse anywhere near Brisbane for at least another couple of years though. Poor growth and rent performance, full stop.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Really? You wouldn't buy a house anywhere near Brisbane for a few more years?

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

OOPS. *Unit or townhouse!

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

OK now it makes sense to me :)

9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

You almost gave me a heart attack. Need to call off all the fire sales I put on!

Tom Rivera likes this.
  10. Lawrence Barnes

Lawrence Barnes Well-Known Member

It's not all areas in Brisbane that are affected with over supply. There are still plenty of good options in the middle ring for town houses and units in small boutique blocks. Clearly stay away from the high rise in areas like West End etc.