Brisbane Subdivision Cost Estimates

Discussion in 'Development' started by Alex BK, 20th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex BK

Alex BK Member

G'day,

Looking at a property in Brisbane. It's a house at the front and a granny flat out the back both on one title.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in costs associated with changing something like this into two lots/titles?

I'm aware of splitting the electricity costs and there is ample access to both properties. Wondering more about how much the statutory things cost in QLD.

2. Zenith666

Zenith666 Member

Depends if its allowed under the town plan or not.
    If so anywhere between $80K-$100K.

Provide more details i.e. size of block, zoning, location, flood zone, sewerage, stormwater, slope,

3. Alex BK

Alex BK Member

It's in Moreton Bay, block size is 600m2. It's general residential zoning. Block is sloped higher towards the back, but not much at all.

4. Getricheatcake

Getricheatcake Member

If there’s already services there wouldn’t you just have to pay the infrastructure charge?

5. Alex BK

Alex BK Member

That's what I thought yes. How much is it in QLD?

6. Getricheatcake

Getricheatcake Member

In logan city council infrastructure costs are 28k per additional lot. Not so much just Qld as each individual council might have different infra charges

7. Zenith666

Zenith666 Member

When subdividing a block you are required to put in a new sewer connection, new water meter, new lawful discharge point, identify new electricity access points and new cross over access point for the block.

Just because its already built as a granny flat does not mean that all the services are separate. They are more than likely coming from the existing house, which will not be adequate.

MBRC and Unity Water infrastructure charges will more than likely be around the $28K mark. Every new block attracts the charges.

Its an entire new ball park when subdiving. Now i don't know the MBRC town plan as well i know the BCC town plan, however in Brisbane there are only a few situations where you can subdivide a 600m2 block down to 2x300m2.

8. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

If the Granny Flat was originally approved as a secondary dwelling then you can't do a building format plan split (no town planning needed), you would need to go through DA to turn into dual occupancy or if land big enough then a straight land sub first.

$70k normally ties it up. $28k for infrastructure contributions is the biggest single hit.

9. RPI

If you PM me the address then I am happy to give feedback through here without identifying you or the property.

10. RPI

From a quick look

15m frontage, 40m length 600m2 site

Strata Titling

- appears that site was originally a primary and secondary dwelling so the GF is ancillary to the house use and you couldn't just use a Building Format Plan to split into 2 titles. (possible that this is not the case but free searches say unlikely)

Where a Dwelling house includes a secondary dwelling or associated outbuildings, they cannot be separately titled as they are dependent on the Dwelling house use.

Subdivision

You need a 5m wide access handle to the rear lot - looks like you would need to demolish the carport on side to achieve this but looks close on aerial mapping, might need to trim eave also.

Needs to be sufficient turning circle on rear lot to allow vehicle exit in forward position.

Front block can't be less than 25m deep and looks like GF is currently within that size, though GF could be slid backwards reasonably cheaply.

The rear lot is only going to be 225m2 with and additional 125m2 in the access handle. It is not going to make the 25m depth minimum but given the extra width we may be able to get around it.

Services need to be individual and not shared, likewise for the driveway.

Overall
    Locals would not include this area as being in Brisbane.

You would need to be confident that there is a market for such tiny lots.