QLD Brisbane Property Q3 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Rozz, 1st Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

My 3 units in the Annerley area....it looks like the old walk-ups are starting to move. I expect about 6-70% gains here. Essentially a 400k per unit bought for mid 2s.

Another 4 houses in Moreton Bay 19-25 klms out...I expect these to hit 500-550k. Bought low 2s to low 3s. People can't see it....but very similar to what happened to Werribee and Melton....in 2015...even thought of selling my Melton Sth property for 260k (bought for 155k in 2008)...glad i did not..it is now over 450k.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I expected this to be happening around now.

So if I'm just a few years off, oh well, can't always get it right. It's not like I would have access to the same capital if I waited anyway, due to APRA and all.

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Patience...I had to wait 10 years for my houses in Werribee (130k)....Hoppers X'ing (170k) and Melton South (155k) to triple or quadruple to 490k....580k...and 450k respectively......but it was well worth it.

Over $1m in equity on just 3 places bought for less than 460k......I intend to do the same in Qld.

This will set me up for retirement..... :)

Orion, Francesco, icic and 3 others like this.
  4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Patience - definitely.

Even if I was 3 years too early, I'd rather be paying 3 years of interest on the 4 loans I was able to get, than 0 interest on the 0 loans I can get now post-apra.

Gotta look at the big picture, always:)

icic, Angel, Observer and 1 other person like this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct...just be careful and don't hold too long. :D

There are ways to borrow...but your average mortgage broker ain't going to be able to get you these loans. As they are lesser know funders...but you need an exist strategy.

6. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

are Annerley units affected by the bris oversupply? I know someone who had trouble getting out of a renovated unit just down road at yeronga ...

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes and know depends.

The rents are pretty stable.....they did not build as many there.

Great buying as the area is changin'

8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

9. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

10. icic

icic Well-Known Member

The figures are looking real good. I spoken to my PM recently and she said rental market is getting much tighter compared to sometime last year. There's also more upward pressure with prices to in the area(Mitchelton, Alderley and Stafford etc...)

11. nth brisbanite

I was able to rent out a Bracken Ridge property within a day of it been advertised even though this is supposed to be the 'quiet' time of the year. I did however have to spend quite a bit of money in getting it in a reasonable condition for new tenants

icic likes this.
  12. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Got something similar in value, I will be satisfy if I get $1m equity gain in the next 5 years. Ive learnt over the years that happiness is about setting the expectations low and anything better is a bonus ;)

Codie likes this.
  13. icic

icic Well-Known Member

With Melbourne and Sydney out. Hobart slowing down and Perth still yet to stabilise the new wave of capital will likely to be concentrated in Brisbane in next 2 years.

14. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

@sash do you see the most opportunities in the cheapies of Brisbane metro? i.e. the 2/10 properties in the price percentiles?

Also - to play devils advocate - what do we think will cause price growth in Brisbane? As far as I know people say there are no real population or jobs increases? Do we think it'll be more like Hobart, just playing catch up mostly?

15. nth brisbanite

Population in Brisbane is increasing (soaring???)

A tale of three cities: Populations soar in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane

16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Here is some facts to backup what I said below...it is all about cycles.

As Sydney and Melbourne turn down....Brissie takes center stage.....

Brisbane’s property market leading the nation - realestate.com.au

I don't like the lower Socio Brisbane....however even those will move. But more growth in the better suburbs for not much more spend. Buy the 4-6 type property less headaches. You can still get in for 300-400k both houses and units (need to be selective).

The trends are Qld is second only to VIC in population growth. The jobs are also now coming through after the Newman govt stuffed things up. Lots of infrastructure like the Airport Link, Queens Wharf, the Noth/South bypass removing traffic in and out of Inner South.

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2018
  17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

100% agree....a lot of people set expectations too high. But hey $1-2m is still not bad...even after 10-12 years. Some people don't have that level of foresight.

The issue with Qld is you have to be selective. Lower socio areas may give you more trouble than you want.

Toby and icic like this.
  18. nth brisbanite

I agree that lower socio areas may give you trouble. I've just spent over $10,000 fixing up my house after renting it out to people who had no respect to my property. My property isn't even in a lower socio area so don't want to think how it would have looked if it was.

19. Dalts

Dalts Active Member

Was all the 10k your out of pocket expense?

20. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think that'll be the common trend moving forward in SEQ - landlords are expected to "up their game" on their IPs to make them more appealing to tenants while keeping rent the same or increase just a little bit more.

Spoke to a PM last week and was told in general the rental market is still relatively soft and that's just because lots of stocks being made available for rent. i.e. lots of investors purchased last couple of years and now all want to get them leased out.

Cheers,
    David