QLD Brisbane Property Q2 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sash, 2nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I disagree (albeit very respectfully). See image below. This pocket is close to train (walking distance), close to Aldi and Bunnings (walking distance ) Ana smack bang between Petrie with new Uni and Brisbane CBD. Also close to the Sunny. Did I mention no flood and walking distance to Pine river fishing/recreation?

Nope!

2BF645BE-A381-41E8-83B2-ADDDA3DFBD23.jpeg

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What's causing the demand there? When I first read the suburb the thing that came to mind was bourbon :D

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

OK, this shows another side to the story.

bb.PNG

5. Big Will

With such a small sample size (13) you cannot rely on those numbers to much :).

As it would really depend on what sold.

You can have properties like this that sell for 800k-1M

8 Alperton Road, Burbank, Qld 4156 - Property Details

To great big mansions that will sell 2.5M+

89 Oakridge Street, Burbank, Qld 4156 - Property Details

Even if you look at all houses for sale right now the quoted prices range from “passed in 1.5M” to “offers over 3M considered”.

So the cheapest quoted is 50% higher than the median price on it... I guess a boom might be happening - either that or better houses are listed or all these vendors are greedy and not meeting the market haha.

Blueskies and Sackie like this.
  6. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Not sure why. Lots of big blocks (acreage), but wouldn't have thought of it as 'rental' material - Mackenzie, bottom end of Carindale, and Rochedale are all very close by, and I would have thought the suburban structure of those suburbs would make them far more appealing to renters.

7. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I feel like near to Brisbane acreage areas have warmed up noticably in the last 12 months. Have heard from a few agents that the demand has grown, and prices are definitely up. It is a hard one to get a clear picture on because of the small sample volume and variability between each site.

Our PPOR is in Chandler, to the east of Brisbane. If you believe the stats we have had 26% growth for the last 12 months - though I do take that with a grain of salt, for the same reasons. Good results around Gumdale and Belmont too, plus I hear similar in the west in Brookfield and Pullenvale. As more land all around these areas get developed and infilled the demand for acreage living 20-30ks from the city will continue to grow in my opinion.

@Big Will are you looking to buy in Burbank?
    @kierank what are you hearing on the ground?

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

He aint on the ground buddy, he's livin up in dat sky home:D

Cue music Sarah Hartman - Two Feet Off The Ground.

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2018
  9. 13774

13774 Active Member

G'day Brisbournians/Investors/Spectators,

A little off topic but I was recently in Brisbane being a tourist visiting my property and I'd like to get your thoughts on this service. Say you weren't a local to Brisbane or were a little unsure about certain areas and you were considering investing.

Would you consider a service where you have a 1-1 tour of the suburb you're interested in, including accommodation and suburb data? My agent was very nice enough to give me an in-depth tour of the city and getting a visual of your city and the market variations.

So what are your thoughts, if you're an interstate investor, is this something you'd be interested in? Send me a PM if you're interested.

10. Big Will

I like Burbank but don’t own in Burbank however I am interested in it.

11. Blueskies

Beautiful area. Took my kids for a bushwalk near the reservoir last Friday. Must have seen at least 20 wallabies that afternoon.

12. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

13. Blueskies

There are some wild swings in that data, Teneriffe median was never going to stay at $2.2m but no way house prices there have fallen 50%

Still, nice piece of fluff article to remind us of the CG payday to hopefully come one-day!

14. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

It's a fairly accurate measure however not perfect . Wtf happened in tereriffe?? Lol

15. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am getting mixed messages.

On one hand, I am hearing that the Asians (and Indians) are coming. They are finding that Sunnybank is becoming too expensive and Rochedale, Mansfield and Wishart are getting the same way for what you get.

Why spend $1.5M for a house on a 405sqm block?

A lot of Burbank is in the Mansfield State High School catchment area. A big plus!!!

On the other hand, I have been following a few recent listings, all in the $2.5M to $3.5M range. All have been on the market for some time, some have been to auction but were passed in, but none have yet sold.

To give an example:- one of these properties I have been following, I thought fair value was around $3M. It was listed as “Submit All Offers”. They received at least one offer (rumoured to be $2.5M). Then the listing was modified to a price in the high two’s. Last time I looked, it is still on the market which surprises me a little.

I would rather spend $2.5M to $3.5M and get a mansion of a house on a 22,000sqm block!!!

I have been following Burbank for some time. Some call me the Baron of Burbank :D. Recent experience is starting to erode my hold on the title.

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2018
    Marg4000, Big Will, Blueskies and 2 others like this.
  16. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Well I speculate that won't occur because historically it hasn't. North south east and west don't matter if there's no natural barriers but the river is a barrier that bisects Brisbane. For example let's say somebody lives in the city and something is 2 kilometres away on the south side but 4 km away on the north side the north side location seems as easy to get to. it's as much a combination of a psychological thing as well as limited points to cross. That's how it works there's actually not a lot of movement across the river people try and stay on the same side and the CBD is on the north. it's difficult to describe but I cannot see their being an equivalence of North to South in prices based on an equivalence in distance from the centre.

17. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Is north better (like Sydney) or worse?

18. Blueskies

The stats don't support your beliefs. Heatmap looks pretty evenly distributed geographically to me (if anything slightly biased towards the south of the cbd)...
    Screenshot_20180622-224717.png

19. Blueskies

Most would agree there is no meaningful difference north or south. For me there are several things pointing towards the south side being a better investment destination.

1. Transport infrastructure - there are much better highways and busways providing connection to the city from the southside. There really is no equivalent for this to the north of the city. State and Federal governements have shown they can't keep up with Infrastructure planning and with the pace of growth in Brisbane this will get worse before it gets better.

2. Proximity to gold coast. Gold coast/tweed district 80ks to the south of the city has a population of ~700,000 people. Sunshine coast to the north is far smaller without the same level of coordinated development or industrial activity.

3. More employment and development opportunities. Note the areas of major regional activity and economic significance in the latest SEQ regional plan, heavily weighted to southern regions...

Screenshot_20180622-231633.png

kierank likes this.
  20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Would you say then that there are more suburbs on the north side with potential for their prices to grow in the near future to catch up with their southern counterparts? The lighter red zone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.