QLD Brisbane Property Q2 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sash, 2nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I just saw today a developer in Newstead is discounting their apartments by 20% you should be able to find the news article if you Google it I think there's some developers will continue with their projects but perhaps at more lower pricing that is still profitable? I certainly know many have been shelved for now. I wanted 32 Cribb Street to go ahead because it's near my place but it looks like the developer has shelved it.

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Yep spot on , still some relatively affordable properties in chapel hill that are in the indro primary/high school catchments

3. Patrick Bateman

Hi Whitecat , cribb st milton ? Why did you do want the project to go ahead ?

Whitecat likes this.
  4. Whitecat

Because I have a PPOR are very near there so I'm interested in that Milton Precinct near the train station becoming very hipster and yuppie the Milton markets are pumping and once there is more conversion of the low Rise commercial into high Rises residential with ground floor retail cafes etc it will become a really popular hub with lots happening. There's no character to be lost because it's already all commercial between Coronation Drive and Milton Road. Check out the renders this will be opposite Milton markets and it's the ground floor activation which interests me a lot of the other Light commercial blocks around there have been bought by Asian consortia but they are just sitting on the land at the moment.
    Over the next 10 years or so Milton is going to change so much it's all going to get converted to residential so it's going to become possibly the densest residential area closest to the city apart from maybe South Brisbane. I live in a character controlled part north of a huessler Terrace so I'm only going to benefit in terms of amenity close by but will never have units in my street or the surrounding streets. Also waiting for the Castlemaine factory to be converted into residential that's a huge block but the building itself is Heritage protected.. they will most likely create a whole Emporium (eg valley but bigger) type Precinct in there
    Height Increase for 32 Cribb Street, Milton

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  5. Patrick Bateman

We went to those markets the other weekend , they were great and the whole area is changing quickly , turning into a very cool hood, you are right it's going to get better and better .

Whitecat likes this.
  6. gcbrah

gcbrah New Member

Thanks for the replies, for context I am looking at family homes around the 400-500k mark, although at the lower end of that range to be honest. Personally I like the south east side as close to the water as possible and access to the trains is pretty crucial, so value for money wise Alex Hills appears to tick the boxes for me. Hobartchic you have data to support your claim? Thank-you

7. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Below snip for Alex Hills. I've seen much worse stats lately in other states...

Screenshot_20180615-094533.png

Patrick Bateman and kierank like this.
  8. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I had a quick look at the data on realestate.com.au I acknowledge that there are issues with using a median and statistics in general. Ultimately, you need to make the decision on where, when, why to buy and statistics are one thing to use. You will lose nothing by making a considered, informed decision.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  9. Ricflair

Ricflair Well-Known Member

Alex Hills is a bit ick.

Wello Point, Ormiston, maybe Cleveland, Thronlands the pick if that area.

Alex Hills and Inalaba sorry i mean Capalaba have a long way to go to gentrify

HUGH72 and Patrick Bateman like this.
  10. Ricflair

Ricflair Well-Known Member

Anyone have any feel of what is happening in the Brisbane market at present. I’ve been asking agents around Wynnum/Manly/Lota. Doesn’t sound like any Sydney money coming up yet. From what I see mostly locals who have made money upgrading to be closer to water from areas west of waterfront.

Do people feel Brisbane will run or will tighter lending restrictions aswell as threats on NG mean Brisbane will follow Syd and Melb?

11. Patrick Bateman

The lending stuff is going to put a dampener on things for some time I feel unfortunately . Thanks to the people badgering politicians for a royal commission they have short themselves in the foot, all they are going to get out of it are reduced borrowing capacity , higher interest rates and subdued house prices .

luckyone and Blueskies like this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

True..but the only good outcome is that the boom in Syd/Mel got cut short before it caused irrepairable damage - it was way too hot.

What we need now in Brisbane and elsewhere is for yields to catch up - which is going to come through a combo of falling house prices (bad) and higher rents (good). The current/near future oversupply will be soaked up, then we'll start seeing headlines of rents being too high. My estimation - within 2/3 years.

That will lay the foundation for the next boom if/when the banks' purse strings are loosened.

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

It is already happening in Brisbane via:

1. The oversupply of units has turned
    2. Lots of Sydney people moving - not only retirees but also people with families
    3 Jobs and growth is now coming through in Qld

;In 2-3 years...Qld's market would be growing strongly...albeit not as strong as Melb and Syd.

Codie, Whitecat, Propin and 1 other person like this.
  14. fat cactus

fat cactus Well-Known Member

Do you think this will extend into Logan areas?

15. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I think more likely the wave will move out, inner suburbs rising, pushing FHB snd investors further out. But Logan will have its day in the sun eventually.

fat cactus and Patrick Bateman like this.
  16. Whitecat

To a lesser extent

ycdfdyan likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Medium to long term I see middle ring killing Logan.

Whitecat, Toby, Propin and 2 others like this.
  18. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

What is your definition of middle ring from a Brisbane perspective?

19. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

I'm looking 8-15km out from Brisbane CBD, i'd define that as middle ring.

Of the suburbs with good demographics I'm a little concerned at the availability of land for sale in Chapel Hill and Ferny Grove at present- anyone know much about the releasing supply in this region and/or government policy?

20. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

Difference of opinion here but I would define it as 10-20 km radius from cbd.

Whitecat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.