QLD Brisbane Property Q2 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sash, 2nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rozz

Rozz Well-Known Member

Normally between 290 and 450 depending on 2 or 3 bedder. Coombabah has lots to choose from and not too far from waterways, though sales in the area have slowed a lot. Runaway bay, Paradise point and Biggera waters are the higher end areas with some getting closer to 500 P/W. I'm not at all familiar with current central or southern duplexes, sorry

The whole area is slowing as I watch it. I'm fairly confident in 12 months time there will be some more price reductions looking at the way things are going

I meant to say that duplexes in 300k range are now the bottom. The cheapest 3/2/2 detachec house is about 450. Most properties are up 50k to 150k on 2013 prices with little or no renovations.

My remaining Coombabah house and friends houses in North GC have had no increase in valuations for almost 15 months.

Last edited: 11th May, 2018
  2. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Commonwealth games over => game over for G.C. property. ;D

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Hey Leo , I think you for some reason assume people who buy in more expensive suburbs are 'cashed up' . I am sure there are an element of buyers who have very low lvr's however most people are reliant on sizeable mortgages . Have a look at this article , postcode 4152 has some of the highest mortgage stress levels in qld .

These are the 10 worst postcodes for mortgage stress in Queensland

Whitecat and Jaccob Rodda like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Every suburb mentioned except the 4152 are all not cashed up demographics. There are many more expensive suburbs than Camp Hill selling big prices. You could argue those suburbs are not mentioned because they have more cashed up, lower lvr demographics or more disposable income etc , so less mortgage stress. I'm not stating that as a fact, but when articles play with numbers as all these articles do, anything can be extrapolated. Its really all nonsense to me.

Personally I believe alot of these numbers is hocus pocus. Never have put much stock into articles like that myself . Regardless, I'm looking at certain markets from a certain view point too. Many of the inner and middle ring OO markets will have buyers who are cashed up and ready to buy the stock I sell, that's the particular market/demographic I'm talking about amongst a backdrop of many others.

I always like to hone in on very specific markets and stock types . Even if many others in those areas have large mortgages, there are always buyers who buy with a lower lvr. It's just a very niche market. For others investing with different strategies I think they just need to find the particular market they are catering to and ignore most of the hocus pocus, doomsday prediction stuff. That's how I approach investing and it works for me.

Last edited: 12th May, 2018
  5. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

Mate one year of good growth doesn’t mean it will translate to 10. Those areas in particular I can’t see experiencing consistent solid growth. Inner ring perhaps but still unlikely 10% year in year for that long.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  6. Rozz

Rozz Well-Known Member

@Kangabanga - It does look like it.

I only have a Coombabah house left, which is tenanted till September, then they are off to work in Tasmania apparently. One of my Coomera tennant's that vacated just prior to me selling lastl year was also moving to Tasmania. Both builders.

7. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

I think most of us know that but seeing this over the last 12 months puts confidence in any investor. Most of us are not amateurs on here mate - we understand the market and have done our due diligence before purchasing.

No-one knows for certain if it was that easy every dick and harry would be a multimillionaire. My fundamentals and research of the areas I invest in have not changed a single bit since I started investing in Brisbane. Most investors on here including myself don't invest blindly.

If the signs are good and we see growth potential and are confident in our due diligence there is nothing else to wait for. This is what differentiates analysis paralysis vs guys that dive in and actually invest.

KayTea likes this.
  8. Patrick Bateman

9. GCJune

GCJune Member

I’m new to Brisbane market. Can anyone who has been in the market for a while give me a bit of brief on history: when was the last boom Brisbane experienced? And what was the driver for that boom? From the data I could see, it seems to me there was a boom from 2002 to 2004 and 2006 to 2008 in Brisbane. What happened during those periods? What were the main drivers? Thanks.

Whitecat likes this.
  10. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Sorry In no way did I mean 40% is likely, I was just pointing out if by some magical reason a boom was to happen we would complain we didn’t buy enough is all.

Your numbers however are very unrealistic. $400k @ 10% compounded over 10yrs is 1.15m- correct me if I’m wrong but you own a lot in Logan? Your min figure above at 8-15% - even at 8% means a double every 9yrs which is not going to happen

11. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

No I dont own many at all in Logan actually as a percentage of my entire portfolio. Its a very small amount.

We all know 10% compounded every single year will likely not be the case - thats just to bring the percentages down to a more "reasonable" amount than talking about 40% growth etc...Even at 5% compounded that will make many people happy (and that is a very doable figure). AND during the next 10 years if there is a BOOM well then its retirement time.

If it does 10% one year, then 4%, then 6%, then whatever else its still going to be a very worthwhile investment. My first year on average has pulled 10% across my entire Brisbane portfolio.

You never know - when I started investing in Sydney 99% of ppl also told me I was crazy. Look at where it is now. Each property doubled at a minimum some even tripled since I started. The question is do you have the balls to invest in something you see potential in and not believe the naysayers? Or are you one of those guys continuously on the sidelines for years and years.

All good man run your own race if your not comfortable in investing after your research and due diligence dont do it. Its all good.

Last edited: 12th May, 2018
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

13. Patrick Bateman

What's the block size? Big house , 309m2. My suburb median (5-6km from cbd) has risen 5% since the start of the year based on latest data , I'll wait for future months sales figures before banking on that .

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Patrick Bateman Its a 405sqm block. The 309sqm living also includes outdoor living, but still a good size. I think the 290-300sqm mark would be enough.

Homes 5-6km from the CBD rising 5% since Jan wouldn't surprise me at all.

HUGH72 and Patrick Bateman like this.
  15. Patrick Bateman

Excellent, thanks Leo :)

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

np mate.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good location ,you could also buy 3 maybe 4 --2bed I bath lock-up garage brick tile units in Moorooka for under 300k in walking distance transport shops ..After looking for about 5 months ,and watching the price drop over the last 2 months I found a 2 bed-one bath walk-up lock up garage ,deceased estate vacant ,maybe 60 hours work to fix up the paint bathroom carpets ..They wanted offers over 290k ,paid just over 250k and the contract solid and in 26 days another daughter will be a property investor,and I will have a job..

Sackie, samiam, jimmy and 1 other person like this.
  18. markgordon

markgordon Member

We bought a 4 x 2 brick (aprox 20 years old ) on a big block in Bray Park in Oct 2014 for $380, now similar ones are selling for $480

19. Rozz

Rozz Well-Known Member

That sounds about right. Have you had any significant upward movement in valuations over the last 6 to 12 months compared to prior ones? My two remaining gc properties at the time, valued by the bank, stopped moving around March 2017. My independent Val's kept going up but i could see there was no longer interest by investors, was fairly unrealistic. I've only sold one of them (Coomera) and it was slightly under bank val. A 4/2/2.

20. Patrick Bateman

Selling under bank val is not a good sign for the area , bank vals are generally quite conservative ...

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.