QLD Brisbane or Perth??

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Nikki P, 13th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Which city will perform better over the next 10 years?

1. Brisbane

43 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Perth

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Thats all I need mate. Next 5 - 10 years absolutely maximum and I'm retired. I dont plan to invest for the next 20 years to be quite honest. I hope I can sail around the world by then with no worries and just enjoy the fruits of my hard work.

adam duckworth likes this.
  2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Not saying brisbane will ever steal the mantle from sydney...not even melbourne.
    Waht i am saying is that if sydney is 80 points respect to jobs ( currently), then currently brisbane is 25.
    In the long term, sydney might get up to say 100, but brisbane will be 65-70.
    A much bigger jump for brisbane than sydney - and the 65-70 represents a viable competition to the 100 ranked sydney.

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

not at all- im going on the assumption perth will diversify. and this will give perth decent CG as well...just that so will brisbane and likely more. This is opportunity cost based. The opportunity cost of not buying bisbane and buying perth instead will be high.
    A couple of points on your post:
    1. Do not paint QLD with brisbane....even sc and gc have very different drivers and performance than BCC
    2. The state govt has some influence on cg sure...but there are many more substantial drivers. eg private sector investment. look at that.
    3. This point has been made many times: in brisbane even small geographocal; differentcs make a hugh cg differential. unlike mexico which has had a relatively uniform performance. This is where local knowledge helps. Mexicans may not know ( too busy eating enchiladas and taking siestas)..a broker may well be a good 'investment' for mexicans considering brisbane. free resources like this forum, whilst good, are..free...
    4. Brisbane properties are definitely NOT going for a premium..far from it. I don't know any reports that say they do..yes some areas and some have risen but nowhere near the top. Perth on average is more expensive than Brisbane on average!!!! So I read that as... Perth is too expensive compared to a higher cg (at least short term) in Brisbane.
    You can argue about Perth to say Melbourne.. Perth on average is only a bit cheaper than Mel yet is nowhere near Mel regarding employment and jobs.
    ..anyway, I agree with one of your earlier points...it's very tough to forecast say 20 plus years out..but.... The fact is many many worldwide make decisions (especially real estate based) with a 20 plus year horizon.

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2017
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You don't really believe this right...?

5. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Let him go. once @JDP1 stops hyping Brisbane, it will boom :D

JDP1 likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That was actually not a hyping comment of his :)

JDP1 likes this.
  7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

thats right...its a fact that there are no brisbane properties going for a premium. By opremium, i mean fully maxed out- ie no more gas in the tank.
    Tell me one such property in brisbane that has no more room to grow...
    My comments are not hype...if it were spruiking, ill paraphrase my comments with the words spruik or hype, so as the naiive mexicans know...:)

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Oh what the hell... I'll buy that! No premiums being paid yet in Brissy. Come one, come all! Invest your moolah! :D

9. Lightie

Lightie Member

Mexico? Inside joke referring to Sydney??

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

sydney and melbourne, mostly sydney.

11. Lightie

Lightie Member

Ta xoxo

12. Nikki P

Nikki P New Member

I'd most likely engage a buyer's agent if i were to buy in Brisbane. Does anyone have any suggestions? The ones I've spoken with so far all seem to charge $12,000+ which seems a little excessive.
    It's tempting to buy in Perth as i know the market so much better. .. or just take a week or so off work and drive around Brissy until i get an idea.

13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Great @Nikki P
    Now that you have your sights firmly set on Brisbane....
    To all the other brisbanites...I've done the hard yards to convince a Perth native to condlsider Brisbane @Leo2413 @samiam etc.....so how bout a small fee coming my way..look at it this way.. I've done most of the work here and you guys are all going to benefit..if you want me to continue thena small fee to yours truly is warranted :)

Sackie, ndpjai, samiam and 1 other person like this.
  14. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

That small fee is your property value increase
    Plus I bought 6 properties for myself and friend from Mexico in the last 8 months
    Banker is asking me r u going to buy entire Brisbane today

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

If you bought 7 in the last 8 months in Brisbane.. Then you know the market better than any if us :)...unless.. Ofourse you bought on our hype..oops.. I mean insightful advice.. Which.. Hype or not..would have made you rich with 7 properties in 8 months.

16. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

3 for me and 4 friends
    Definitely Brisbane is undervalued
    Once jobs growth kickstart and election results would swing the next phase in the next 6 months

17. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

People have been buying in Logan, Brisbane, gold coast.
    Where are the numbers so far?
    Except few, i don't think most got that well deserved gain. Brisbane has been growing since last 3 years. People have been buying since 2011 (after floods) but the hopes are still high.

I am yet to hear growth stories. SmartPeople (with all due respect), i think, were buying in Melbourne when all others were concentrating on adelaide and Brisbane or even Sydney.

I have seen properties giving 30-50% profits over just last 2 years. Leave alone full cycle.

I am fortunate i didn't buy in Brissy.
    Someone also mentioned investing 1 mil in brissy, i would love to know the gains till now?

I just invested 100k to see 2 properties worth 650k, equity worth 160k and rental worth 825 per week. Add depriciation and that is another 10k per annum. Another 2 blocks bought in Jan this year worth 355k have given 90k in equity.

I saw some investors entering the brissy market in 2014 and that's about it. Personally, i think it is much better time to enter into Perth market.

How much run would brisbane have further?
    Perth is offering killer deals atm. Brisbane, you are already buying at premium. Similar with Melbourne market. How much would you want to stretch further?
    Which is a safer bet?
    What about the opportunity cost?
    You potentially sit on a dev block which holds a high potential of equity in next 5 years.

If you think you can find deals because you are savvy investor. You have opportunity in each market. But this is for people who are looking to buy a single property a g that's about it for next few years.

Regards

Citycat88 and JohnPropChat like this.
  18. eletronic_exp0430

That is me. I have gained as a rough estimate $150k Capital growth for the FY16/17 financial year (longest house I've owned is 11 months. Shortest time I've owned a house in Brisbane in FY16/17 is 30 days) in the above figure.

On top of that I received massive tax depreciation on all the houses and got back around $47,800 in tax in this years tax refund alone. That's a deposit on another house for me in Brisbane :)

All houses positive geared. Average yeild about 5.5% - 6.3%. You can continue to believe in Perth mate but there are alot of big investors betting on Brisbane and myself included. I've done a crap load of due diligence on my research and have 100% confidence in my investments.

Lets say purely my Brisbane investments increase only $200k over 5 properties per year. Over 5 years its a million capital. Over 10 if we see the expected ramp up I'm hoping its going to become more exponential and the growth will become huge.

All the same time I'm still making big gains in my Sydney properties I own and I still own a lot in Sydney.

Alot of it has to do with timing. If you bought in Brisbane in 2014 or 2015 - well maybe your timing wasnt that right yet. I think now with Sydney/Melb peaking it is Prime time to buy in Brisbane. I can see growth in every single suburb I have interest in Brisbane/Logan and Ipswich over the last 12 months. I monitor very very closely this kind of information.

If your confident in Perth go buy there. Its all good. We will see who makes more money. Bookmark this page and come back to it in 5 years time.

I've done a few bookmarks recently to ensure I can come back to these threads and compare how my research has performed. My track record thus far has been pretty damn good.

Goodluck to you.

19. eletronic_exp0430

These are in Perth? And when did you buy? What are the suburbs?

20. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Sorry, the examples are from Melbourne. I am not that good. :D

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.