QLD Brisbane on the ground

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by standtall, 20th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Sure, I've noticed a fair bit of prices moving upwards around the inner north. Rents on the other hand appear to be stagnant at best and demand levels seem to be dropping. Think it's the last few folk late to the party overpaying...

Whitecat likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Awful. I have never, in my 50+ years, heard of ANYONE saying "O I would love to move to Acacia Ridge."

I know of an investor who bought a dirt cheapie to renovate and onsell. It was not a flood property. They made a killing. That was in a different cycle though, immediately after the flood in 2011.

willair and Whitecat like this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Actually get in there four years ago.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When comparing suburbs, you also have to realise that in Wilston you have the beautiful people with their beautiful homes, but at The Grange we seem to have more of what were originally "normal homes" and fewer already renovated homes. Of course this will affect the mean or average prices.

At Kedron, Wavell and Kalinga you will have far more large and already renovated character homes than in boring housing commission Stafford. Stafford is also off the main road and off the main bus route. Just because they are side by side, you are comparing two different demographics (privately settled vs public housing) when their properties were originally built. For the past ten years or so, the IP magazines have been calling Stafford a Hotspot compared to its neighbouring suburbs. The reality on the ground is that they are significantly different places.

Sam Yue, Whitecat and RetireRich101 like this.
  5. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I think we were comparing the inner, middle and outer without taking too much consideration of the home and people. It appears people's perception is that pick any inner city suburb, it would beat any outer suburb for capital growth for any 5, 10, 15 year window. I am disagreeing.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    It's like comparing the HC side of Bracken Ridge to the family-friendly side. (Even if HC side isnt so bad)

Or like comparing 1960s HC Carina with the family-friendly McMansions of 1980s Carindale.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's like taking a suburb where the typical house is 250m2 and comparing it with a nearby suburb where the typical house is 125m2.

8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I think you missed the boat there Mo. There are some good pockets up on the ridge and about 4 years ago there were good splitters with fabulous views - but your Algester investment was better.

9. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I think 20

10. Adrianz

Adrianz Active Member

Curious, why are prices for areas surrounding Brisbane so depressed compared to even Sydney 2012 pre boom? Aside from good infrastructure and good lifestyle, what is holding Brisbane back from having the same price run as Sydney/Melbourne did over the last few years?

flyhere and Whitecat like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There are a number of threads on why it has not boomed, do a search

Whitecat likes this.
  12. Whitecat

Exactly. The fundamentals are good. Some issues with employment. Massive infrastructure commenced or coming. I don't think bne will be at this relative price for too many years.

flyhere and Propin like this.
  13. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the average home in Sydney not have much growth for 10 years until a few years ago? I think Brisbane will be the same and I don't think it will be too far off prices moving up for undervalued property.

14. Whitecat

Yes syd had a long flat period.

Propin likes this.
  15. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Could happen same as last time.. Sydney -2% pa over the next 3 years, so if you include 2016-2017, total 5yr growth around 25%? Meanwhile Brisbane continues at a steady 3-4% pa with maybe a good 5% year. So that gives BNE 17% total 5 year growth. Still a fair bit behind Sydney, but not terrible...

All just theoreticals..People tend to forget the big slow when they have some good years, but it can average out a bit. I guess that is why timing is everything!

Realist35 and flyhere like this.
  16. flyhere

flyhere Well-Known Member

I agree with you! Brisbane is steadily growing up year by year. It is slow pace growth and it is moving.

Realist35 and Whitecat like this.
  17. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

We are seeing some instances of record sales. First $1m plus house in Cannon Hill on 405m2 block of land, first $1m plus house in Seven Hills on 300m2 block of land - both quality new builds but people are happy to pay for them

flyhere and db9 like this.
  18. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

We are seeing some instances of record sales. First $1m plus house in Cannon Hill on 405m2 block of land, first $1m plus house in Seven Hills on 300m2 block of land - both quality new builds but people are happy to pay for them

Whitecat likes this.
  19. Whitecat

And particularly the inner suburbs are strong. Sydney prices.