Brisbane - Most popular suburbs for families leaving Syd/Melb?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by djyella, 10th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. djyella

djyella Well-Known Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone could provide experience with which Brisbane suburbs are most popular for professional families migrating from Sydney and Melbourne with decent-but-not-excessive budget of $1m-1.5m? Ie the type buying 5 bed/3 bth renovated or new homes.

I left the Hawthorne/Bulimba area 5 years ago for Sydney and I met my fair share of ex-Sydney families there. I imagine there are others they are attracted to.

A few guesses may be Indooroopilly and Wilston.

Thanks!

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2020
  2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Many Sydney families have moved to where I am in Grange.. Wilston State School is a good one..

Depending on how much land you need $1.3m can get you a very nice, recently built home on 400sqm https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-grange-133789542
    Or if you need 800sqm, it will likely be an old home which requires a reno.

Ashgrove/Bardon would be worth look at, or nearby Alderley (slightly cheaper) recently voted most livable suburb in Brisbane.

LIDM likes this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Always pays to have a look at this inner blue chip on the inner south--side..imho..
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-yeronga-133414530

4. djyella

Thanks all will look at Yeronga and Grange

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I had colleagues who moved to Sandgate and Cleveland ie north & south but both were very close to the water.

djyella likes this.
  6. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

Will you be working in the CBD or elsewhere? Do you need access to public transport? How old are your children ... if primary school age then the school catchment zone may be important. If high school age, will they be attending a private school or is a public school important (again school catchments will then need to be considered)? What is important to you (ie: lifestyle, parkland, cafe culture)? All of these things will help to guide recommended suburbs outside of price point alone.

7. djyella

Thank you, I should have provided these details!

- Working in CBD (Eagle St)
    - Ideally access to public transport but not mandatory
    - Children are toddler/ early primary school age. We have stop gap private school solution for primary school so good catchment would be nice.
    - They will likely be going to high school in Spring Hill (5 years away).
    - Lifestyle, parkland, cafe culture are all important. Really I'm looking for somewhere with a bit of a village and community. We are on the Balmain peninsula in Sydney at moment and would like similar-ish. That's probably Bulimba but would like to look at other other options.

Current options:
    - Bulimba
    - Graceville
    - Yeronga
    - Grange?

8. MelindaJennison

Keep in mind that the second runway has changed all of the flight pathways in Brisbane. Planes are pretty quiet at the moment, but once things ramp up some of those suburbs will be in a noise overlay - especially between 6am and 9pm. Just something to consider if you had not thought about this already (see noise map below)
    Yeronga has some nice areas ... just be careful of flooding (see flood map below also)
    I'm also a fan of northside. Suburbs suggested around Grange, Alderley, Newmarket, all have good access to trains, village precincts and parkland. Here is an example of a new build within your budget (unconditional contract at $1.3M): https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-alderley-133741170
    Remember school catchment zones matter for primary school. Wilston State School (for example) has a very strict catchment area.
    Ashgrove and Bardon are also beautiful locations, with great local communities. Top places for families ... but you miss the train in those suburbs. You will be more reliant on bus for public transport. Hope this helps!
    Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG

Parkzilla and Tom Rivera like this.
  9. djyella

Thanks @MelindaJennison that is very insightful information! Appreciate the detail.

I’d be interested to know, in terms of Sydney/Melbourne migration and inner suburbs, would you say the greatest interest is in inner north? (Grange, wilston, Alderney and surrounds). I’ve lived in both inner west and inner east Brisbane before moving away but don’t have much of a feel for the inner north. All I knew was that the main roads seemed pretty horrid. But looks like I should take a closer look.

10. MelindaJennison

Actually the interest from those looking to relocate from interstate varies depending on the lifestyle people are looking for.
    Roads around the inner north are pretty good now that the inner city bypass and tunnels are complete. There are also T2 Transit lanes which provide a quick trip if you have 2 or more people in a vehicle along Kelvin Grove Road which is a major connector from these areas to the CBD. If you are in the suburbs you mention above, you can also ride or run to the CBD along the bikeways (not sure if you are into that more active commute).
    There is a beautiful community feel in the suburbs around Graceville and Sherwood as well - but a LOT of flood to be aware of if you head in that direction. It also might be a more difficult commute for your children to get to Spring Hill from there.
    Too many options .... Brisbane has many desirable locations

11. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Fig tree pocket? Then they can join the tractor mums driving their princes and princesses to school along milton road until they turn 18

djyella and Alpacas like this.
  12. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Any where along the train line or bus route.
    North side suburbs - Winsor, Wooloowin, Albion, Eagle Junction all stone throw away from CBD.
    15 mins of any transportation - you are right at work.
    Still very affordable in these area.

13. JBC

JBC Member

I suggest avoiding Ascot, unless you are a fan of planes. Such a shame to destroy a nice area with such noise. Be careful with this new runway

djyella likes this.
  14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

If you were leaving Springvale or Box Hill, you'd go to Sunnybank.

The Y-man

codeninja and MikeyBallarat like this.
  15. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My selling agent just pointed out to me that Domain is most commonly used by Sydney and Melbourne buyers. Realestate.com.au is most commonly used by Queensland buyers. It may be worth checking both sites while looking!

Cadee.B and wylie like this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Correct. Most times we've listed in the past years, agents have used both sites, but I never, ever look at Domain when I'm looking for comparables or wanting to keep a check on the market.

But to list for sale, definitely we are always offered to be on both sites, to catch any Sydney or Melbourne buyers who may not even see our property if we didn't also list on Domain.

Propin likes this.
  17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

At this stage I wasn’t going to bother listing with Domain with my sale as I’m expecting it to sell local and it’s 20k’s from city. I might reconsider, see if other properties are getting enquires. I bought the property unseen from WA but got my parents to look for me. It was raining so they didn’t look outside at all, hehe. Perth is the same, I forgot Domain existed.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  18. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Definitely not correct for Melbourne. Very strongly dominated by REA group not by Domain.
    I do believe Sydney is a Domain market though.

Propin likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If the OP is going to be working in Eagle St, would a suburb on the river be suitable for city cat commutes?

20. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Virginia? Well serviced by both rail and busses. Close to a large golf park and close to the airport while not being under a flight!