QLD Brisbane looks good

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Steven Ryan, 19th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

No doubt xmas slows trade down a lot for RE, but there would have been some really good buys to be had- I'm guessing some desperate sellers willing to take a haircut just so they can get a sale xmas/ny...

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Not entirely true. I tried very hard to offer a haircut last week, unfortunately didn't come off.

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

hang in there...Brisbane is still a Podunk town full of *****s ( and thus don't know a deal when they see one) especially at this time of year. Will be much better jan/feb.

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Things are slower in Brissie now......I think you will find a slower but steadier market in Brissie in 2016. Whilst prices will move 5-6%...I don't think it will be dramatic.

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, just throwing some ideas out there.

Looks like you're getting the awesome weather in Brisbane too.

Whitecat likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Mum's house at The Gap sold for $470K I think, at the very end of 2011. Several of the brick walls had already been plastered over and painted by the original builder, leaving feature brick walls in the living room. They were rendered for sale. The buyer had a plasterer come in and put up gyprock over every wall anyway.

My comment was more to advise that it will be a little more labour-intensive to knock out walls than if they were merely timber and gyprock. Still doable.

That kitchen is a maze - I would be knocking out the upper back wall and the end of the wall so you can walk straight through to the rumpus, and possibly knock out the front wall of the kitchen as well. I'd have to see it in real life.

Don't know what those bedrooms are really like, they may be a lot smaller than the pics and the floorplan depicts. The garage is tiny - I would turn the little back room into a store room and add a second toilet and shower into the laundry if the cost makes it worthwhile, and redo the current bathroom/toilet without all those internal walls.

7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I don't have a clue how all these apartments are going to be absorbed. There are just so many. Newstead, Valley, West End. It's crazy. I know bne and i just don't know where the customers are going to come from Students can only afford so much. Inner city retail/hospo workers? Idk.
    There's not that many Asians here either. And they are used to apartments.
    Reminds me of those Chinese cities that are vacant. Built with the idea that people would come and fill them.

8. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Agreed, and in particular in Brisbane. While things may be changing if they offer killer views of the city or (muddy) river we just don't go for apartments here.

Currently looking in the 10-12km ring for either townhouse or house. This is where Brisbane people think Brisbane ends.

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

LOL...we were talking with family about some suburbs like Lota, Thoreside, Birkdale........them..... "Where is that".......have to take it easy on them though, they moved from Sydney and planted right in CBD for most of the time there....

Gockie likes this.
  10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

unfortunately that is what the majority of the market thinks...yes. its also somewhat similar in the other cities- albeit a bit further out in syd/mel because of affordability. If syd/mel were more affordable, you bet it would end there. Thats just what consumer preferences are which can be seen by historical price growth.
    Im not saying the market is right nir wrong. .the market is the market

11. dabbler

The market will change.

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes, the market preferences do change...for instance there is a greater acceptance of inner city apt living..its gradual and Will take years to be a more fully ingrained market preference change. Various facors can cause market preferences to change such as affordability, infrastructure, crime, opportunity, greater convenience etc..in a real estate sense, market preferences and behaviour takes a while to shift...not so in riskier asset classes such as shares.

Whitecat likes this.
  13. dabbler

It takes time, but it seems locals are already onto the bayside thing a few of us have talked about & as the prices grow close to the CBD (as they have) it means people do go out.

I do not nor have not lived in Brisbane, but I have watched this happening and have had locals talk to me about areas further out. Tingalpa, for example, has grown in popularity in the short time I have looked.

14. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Bran likes this.
  15. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

16. big max

Yeah. Well if you were going to buy in 2016 I think Brisbane or Gold Coast would be the way to go.

17. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

"However while Hobart yields are rising, the same cannot be said for Darwin, where rents are falling. Mr Christopher says it is fast becoming Australia’s most undervalued city.

Perth and Darwin will not recover well – there are no signs of bottoming for Perth’s falling housing prices."

Am I missing something here? Why are they equating high yield with being undervalued? I mean generally there's a correlation but it would be a mistake to treat it as a strict rule.

MTR likes this.
  18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I think it is Queenslands time to shine. The southern capitals have got too expensive and the property value for your dollar is pretty good north of the border. Most things market related are looking very positive for the near future including the economy, unemployment, tourism, rising population, overseas investments, good airports, retail trading, high rises, residential building and local confidence. The Gold Coast has so much potential, along with most of SEQld ...and also Cairns

big max likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Darwin - I think he is referring to property prices not rents?

The article is also stating that Melb is expected to continue to perform well. I still believe some areas will outperform Brisbane and middle ring represents better value just my opinion, don't shoot me

mtr

20. big max

Absolutely agree! I got out of Sydney over a year ago and have been buying up Gold Coast big time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.