Brisbane land values rise 10 per cent

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Sackie, 3rd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I don't understand the big jump in Northlakes tbh. If bridgeman downs didn't go up? Or even chermside not moving much. Doesn't make sense to me. Northlakes is far and lots of land out there?

2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

My guess is because northlakes comes of a low base and has gentrified with development. Does not take much to get a bigger % the lower the base...and vice versa.
    ..and i question the sustainablity of land value appreciation yoy when the base increases like that. Ie 20%. Northlakes isnt a blue chip tjat has significantt fundamental drivers that can help sustain yoy % imo.
    Not sure compared to chermside etc. I too would have expected the likes of chermside to show more of an increase..same with some others.

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2016
    Whitecat and Sackie like this.
  3. Whitecat

I got 10% in wavell heights. Much more valuable land than northlakes. By that I mean land. There are quite a lot of expensive homes in Northlakes. Really large houses that are only a few years old. People may relatively more for the house than the land in those types of new subdivisions

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The average Joe can't afford a house in Bridgeman Downs and Chermside. I have never been able to afford a house there.

Average Joe can live at North Lakes and imagine they live in Chermside or Bridgeman Downs. The houses and the shopping centre both look the same. When 80% of the population are Average or below, where do you think they will go to live?

Hanison likes this.
  5. Whitecat

I wouldn't have thought affordability would have factored into the land valuation I am pretty sure there would have been some good jumps in some of the more inner suburbs which are absolutely unaffordable for the average person. But maybe you are right because I just don't understand the big jump in North Lakes for the land

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I figure it is because of the train line affect.

Last year we had a massive value increase compared to previous years. Maybe your suburb had two or three years of consistent value rises?

7. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

North Lakes would be considered blue chip for that area I think, and the shopping centre is only getting bigger and bigger. And they tell me North Lakes itself is 'sold out' so I guess that puts more pressure on existing house and land... Given its proximity to the airport, good transport (very soon - the train) and not far to the sunny coast and Bribie island and Scarborough marina and Redcliffe and the new university I think it has a lot going for it...

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's a bit of a jump.
    One of mine went up to about $400k, which means I got a lot of house for not much money ;)

9. Likestoread

Likestoread Member

Nundah 10.5%
    Wynnum west 15.8%
    Stafford 26% (460 to 580)

Will this increase in land value be translated to the selling price? One thing for sure, land tax is going to be super expensive, which begs another question, is it worth objecting to the council?

Thanks

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

thats a good question- how does the increase in land price translate to selling price? I doubt its a 1:1 correlation as land values are only one of many factors that contribute to selling price. Im not sure how strong the correlation is. Im guessing they will play a bigger hand for RE that has a lot of land ( houses, knock down jobs etc)- Should be diluted for apartments i would think, but still there will be some.

Ed Barton likes this.
  11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Why has outer bum **** increased in value twice that of Brisbane wide?

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Mar, 2016
  12. Ed Barton

A bigger shopping temple - how exciting.

The brand, which consists of small houses, with small roads may be sold out, but there's plenty of land ripe for development out there. I might buy some? I'll call it North Lake heights and double the asking price.

Redcliffe airport yes. If you're talking about BNE airport, then it's further away than all north Bris burbs and some south BNE burbs. It's not that far from the Sunshine Coast Airport - not sure where you could fly from there.

I think I can, I think I can.

It's ten mins less journey from BNE to the sunny coast, big deal. Bribie Island and Redcliffe - who gives a ****.

I do not!!

13. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Keperra only 5%

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It might have already been answered, but do these valuations impact the rates?

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Same. Well approx. 5.264%, but who's counting.

Inov8ive likes this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Yes they do. The rates use an average of values of the property over three years so each year the rates will increase.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

This could contribute to rises in values, if investors pass on higher costs to tenants via rent increases?

18. Ed Barton

The good olde 'passing on costs' myth? And the double; increased rents lead to increased values.

19. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

Yeah funny how so many people still believe it. Well Sherwood up 0%, quite happy, no rates rises for me.

20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

This is exactly what this is for.