Brisbane Heritage Home - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by JezandCrissy, 29th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JezandCrissy

JezandCrissy Member

Hi PC Community, this is my first post and was hoping to pick your minds and learn from your experiences.

We are first home buyers looking at buying a property to add value to and thus starting our portfolio. We have a modest budget in Brisbane and have found a property (middle ring) that is a true ugly duckling which we can see through the layers as being a beautiful home in the not to long term and it is listed at a modest price. But it is a heritage listed home... In saying this after doing our research we can end up with an end product that appeases the requirements of a heritage home while hitting our vision. My questions are, will the house (even after renovation) potentially deter buyers? and does anyone have any tips renovating a heritage listed home in Brisbane?

Thanks in advance

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Gotta say... I love a heritage home. :D
    You can basically do what you want on the inside, but I'd keep it sympathetic with the exterior.

JezandCrissy likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Buying a heritage listed home would not bother us, because we would want to renovate sympathetically anyway. But it could mean that you cannot update the inside how you'd like to. Have you spoken to anyone who can tell you what you could and could not do?

And as far as on-selling down the track, I'd say that anyone looking at a heritage home would be wanting that style, and if you've brought it back up to its full potential, and bought at a good price, there will always be a market for it. Just my opinion of course, as someone who would happily buy it.

Actually, Cremorne on Hamilton Hill has a glass and metal box added to back (side?), and I'm wondering how they got away with it. Perhaps as they've not messed up the original house?

34 Mullens Street Hamilton Qld 4007 - House for Sale #123306210 - realestate.com.au

JezandCrissy likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It would depend on the area the property is in ,and then what street ..

The link below will help you with the heritage fit-offs..
    http://www.woodworkers.com.au/

JezandCrissy and wylie like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Probably worth a chat with the heritage architect at the council or private heritage architect beforehand to determine the extent of the listing eg: streetscape, well in the gardens, interior etc.

If it isn't a ppor, there may be land tax concessions.

JezandCrissy and Sackie like this.
  6. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

When you say heritage is it state listed, BCC listed, pre 1911, pre war or just in DCP listed area.

JezandCrissy likes this.
  7. JezandCrissy

JezandCrissy Member

It's BCC listed pre 1911

8. JezandCrissy

JezandCrissy Member

I haven't spoken to anyone yet but now know the track to look down :) and yes definately would be a sympathetic reno after all it is the character that to us makes these homes to appealing.

9. JezandCrissy

JezandCrissy Member

Thank you for that! I have seen that place never been in though... Adding to the list :)

10. JezandCrissy

JezandCrissy Member

Will do, thank you for the advice. Cheers

11. JezandCrissy

JezandCrissy Member

Thanks everyone, I have some direction now and some more research to do :)

12. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Send pictures if you get it! The heritage homes in Brisbane are absolutely gorgeous and I swear the vast majority of them are left to fall apart. Properties in Ipswich worth less than a third of the amount are better maintained...!

The big catch for me with a heritage listing is zero development potential down the track, but you just have to make sure you buy at the right price with that being considered.

13. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

A heritage home in a wealthy owner occupier area is akways going to be worth more in the future than your non heritage
    Only places where the herutage home might not be a good investment are those areas where the people who live there cant afford to maintain them

14. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Pre-1911 is not that bad.

You can raise, open verandahs and restore without getting Development Approval from Council. You can't enclose underneath without DA.

If you PM me the address I will look at it for you and answer back through here without identifying property.

15. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

What an amazing home, Wylie.
    Fabulous restoration and great addition.
    When people make additions to heritage homes, I think it is far better that the addition is completely distinct from the original. I like a modern glass/steel/stone box attached to an older property.
    I wonder what it sold for.