Brisbane Handyman

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by wylie, 29th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I had been quoted $200 to add a plastic guard to a screen door, to stop anyone poking a finger through the mesh to unlock it. That seemed excessive.

I put it up on one of the job sites, and had a quick answer. Ended up getting the job done, plastic guard supplied and fitted, plus was asked if I'd like the torn mesh replaced. I asked how much and the total job, supply and fit for the guard and the new mesh was $137.

Hubby has been our handyman for years, but has hung up his tool belt. So I'm happy to have found this guy. He has a carpenter and a builder to help if those trades are required.

He sent a photo of the finished job and the tenant also texted to say he'd done a good job.

Because people often ask for a good handyman recommendation, I'm putting his name here.

Marcel Lecarre (From A to B Solutions)
    0411 547 192

2. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I'm working in the wrong city

Callout fee $77 and materials of about $20 is what I've charged for anti intruder plate installations.

Propin likes this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Plus replacing fly wire/mesh though

4. wylie

The quote was $88 plus materials quoted about $15. So not much difference to your city. The extra was the whole door mesh was replaced with new.

All up, callout, labour, new mesh, new guard $137. Fair price I thought.

The first quote was $200 just for the plastic guard to be installed - highway robbery!!!

5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Those plastic guards are $10 at Bunnings and take 2 minutes to attach, anyone could do it, you don't need to be handy

charlie01 likes this.
  6. wylie

Agree. Once upon a time hubby would have done it. But we don't need to do that now and we are happy to pay someone to do it.

So we need to compare apples with apples.

My purpose of putting up this guy's name is because he was quick to respond, easy to talk to, happy to call and discuss further work that benefits us.

Finding a good handyman isn't easy, hence all the requests for a good one, especially those who don't wish to DIY or don't live locally.

Mulianto, Joynz and kierank like this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

It never ceases to amaze me that some/many PC members always want the cheapest - the cheapest property manager, the cheapest accountant, the cheapest handyman, ...

I never buy anything based solely on price; I base my decision based on value.

Value is a very personal thing which means it differs from one person to another.

Some people buy a new car (brand A) say for $100,000+ and believe it is great value.

They know they could have a new car (brand B) for $30,000 but believe it is really poor value