Brisbane DCP Splitter

Discussion in 'Development' started by PPFS_Brissy, 12th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PPFS_Brissy

PPFS_Brissy New Member

Hi all,

We are currently looking for a new PPOR in inner North Brisbane. We have engaged a buyers agent to either find us an empty lot, or alternatively something to which we can add value (subdivision/renovate etc). We have identified a potential 810 lot off market on 2 existing lots so it would be a straight forward splitter (no subdivision required). The intention would be to split, sell the site with the house and retain the other empty lot for our PPOR.

However, the existing house on the site is pre-war and is located within a DCP. My understanding is that the maximum house width that can be accommodated is 8m, such that it can be moved across and minimum 1m side boundary setbacks maintained. The buyers agent has suggested that a siting relaxation can be applied for, and as we would be the neighbours, we could agree to the proposed relaxation. We will do our due diligence and contact a town planner for advice but I would appreciate any thoughts/input more experienced developers here might be able to offer.

Many thanks in advance

LGVP likes this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm not a developer,but just a few off the top of my head..Read most of posts about the tax side on this within this site.. When you say it's off market as the title holders would know full well what they control,so that may be the first step ,contact the owner's and work out the price once you know that part,price size location then have a look where the power pole sits outside the block..But just a quick question does this block already have 2 street numbers and good luck.

3. MattMc

MattMc Member

I believe you are generally correct in your assumptions around minimum setbacks under the small lot code being 1m and the existing pre war house having to stay. I have seen reduced setbacks in similar circumstances where a "light and air" easement is created to effectively increase the setback between the existing house on 1 lot and the proposed new dwelling on the 2nd lot. I guess it also depends on how much under the 1m setback you are or if Built to Boundary provisions can also be used in the case of garages etc.

4. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

First thing I would say to check is the TAX side of things.
    Second thing I would recommend is really getting a few builders to look at it. It can be a very expensive process relocating the house doing a renovation on an existing property.
    Third, have you considered teaming up with someone and buying together just so when the new titles get released you can just move names around and save on capital gains tax.
    Are you able to share budget and suburb? Sometimes you maybe better just getting a knockdown rebuild.

5. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

What do you mean by moving around the titles? My friend and I are keen to do thia

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Speak to the guys at my town planning firm. They'll tell you free of charge whether it looks possible or not. 33996939

LGVP and BNE like this.