Brisbane cosmetic renovation advice

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by VanGogh, 23rd Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. VanGogh

VanGogh Member

Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here looking for some expert advice and guidance. I'm planning to do some cosmetic reno on my 3x1 Brisbane property as I'm looking to sell within the next 12 months. I'm quite nervous as I live in Melbourne and this is my first property. I'm hoping to get a good price so hopefully I can afford a PPOR for my family and myself.

I'm not looking to do any structural reno and rather reno that can maximise profit, but welcome any feedback!
    • Fresh paint across the entire house (internal and external)
    • Kitchen: new cabinets, benchtops, tap & sink - I would like to do this without changing the structure of the kitchen itself. Is this possible? When I watch YouTube, people seem to do it themselves which is a great cost saving. As I am not local, is it still ideal through a builder? Are they willing?
    • upload_2022-4-23_22-57-42.png
    • Bathroom: new cabinets, tap, showerhead - similarly, no structural changes. There is no bathtub and just a shower. Separate toilet next to the bathroom and an additional toilet in the laundry. Is it worth updating the toilets? I don't see a lot of mention of toilets specifically so thinking it's not an important piece?
    • upload_2022-4-23_22-58-18.png
    • Built in robe: There's no built in robe in 1 of the bedroom, is it worth adding? Current BIR has mirror sliding door. I've never been a fan of this, but what are the general preference out there? If it's a non-issue, happy to leave it be.
    • Windows: Replace some of the windows that have become old and rusty.
    • Entrance door: I'm thinking it would be nice to have a new door (first impression I heard), but is it worth it?
    • Lightings: Is it worth putting in new lights?
    Just to help with visualisation, please see the floorplan below and let me know your thoughts.
    upload_2022-4-23_22-55-23.png

Finally, I have done some research and found Renovare Chermside, but unfortunately couldn't find any additional info on this forum. Please recommend any builders, traders that would be able to assist. I understand it is difficult to get people in right now so thought it'd be better to start planning now.

I will be relying on my PM to send me photos of completed works and I'm thinking as they're not invested in the finishing as I am, I'm looking for a builder that is trustworthy and will be upfront with any problems that arise. Also the main reason why I think doing complex reno isn't ideal as I won't be there to assess and make informed decisions.

Please feel free to link another thread that could be helpful.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. VanGogh

VanGogh Member

Uh oh... This was meant to be posted in 'Renovation & Home Improvement', not 'Repairs & Maintenance'. I'm so sorry! I'm not sure how to change it!

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Before I do anything I'd be doing some research ( assuming you have here) to see what renovated places are selling for in comparison to unrenovated. Like for like as much as possible is very important.

If unrenovated is only getting a little less than renovated, it's likely not worth renovating. If there's a health margin, then the risk is worth it. You'd ideally imo want to be able to add at least $1.5 to every $1 dollar you spend.

If you decide the margin is worth it, talk to a few agents to see what they would spend the money on for the specific demographics in the area. Sometimes they can give you good ideas or save you from spending money in unnecessary areas.

Then selecting a contractor in this market can be extra tough and most are booked out and or charging big premiums in many cases.

Just make sure the margin is there first to justify the risks.

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2022
    R R, VanGogh, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Best advice - under normal circumstances.

But circumstances in Brisbane are far from “normal”. As well as usual cost and time blow-outs everywhere, you have the complication of well over a thousand flood damaged homes needing repair. Insurance companies have contracted many builders and trades for repairs expected to take up to two years.

It is not unusual now for good tradies to be booked out for the next 12-18 months unless you are a previous contact. Of course, there is always someone if you are prepared to pay top dollar.

Best action may be to only do anything strictly necessary, unless your PM has reliable access to the people you need.

R R, VanGogh, wylie and 3 others like this.
  5. southern-investor

southern-investor Well-Known Member

For these types of renovations will it be possible for you to fly up there and do it yourself? The stuff you want to do is VERY easy and it will only take like 2 weeks max.

Working from home is everywhere now so just fly up and work from there. Your manager should be accommodating. No difference if your in Melb or Brissy.

Few things

1) Paint will be easy if the current paint is not peeling. If its peeling you'll have to scrape and prep otherwise the new coat will just come off. I'd just pay someone. 3 bedder house with prep and paint should only be around $3k. Thats what I just paid in Sydney few weeks ago.

2) You dont need to replace the kitchen cabinets. A Fresh coat of paint and slow close hinges will do the job and everyone will think they are new. The bench top I'd replace with a new Laminex one or if you want stone use quartz. Its cheaper and provide 90% of the look with less. maintenance.

If your not changing the layout you can replace the mixer and sink yourself. That is a simple job anyone can do.

3) Bathroom vanities are CHEAP!! Just replace that with a 1200 double tap vanity. Something like this and it will look a million bucks for under $1k fully installed.

Vellena 1200mm Double PVC Water Proof Wall Hung Bathroom Vanity Cabinet - Renolink

You can replace the shower head and mixers and taps with ceramic quarter turn ones and maybe choose a black or bronze colour to give it that look of class for under $100 a set.

Painting is going to be the biggest cost imho if you engage someone. If you do it yourself your timeline will blow out as painting especially the prep is not that easy imho.

All the stuff like windows a new paint job on the frames will give it life and it will cost you $20 in paint.

You dont need to get downlights installed. Just replace those oysters with some nice ones. There are some designs that look a million bucks.

Entrance door if its wood just sand it back and give it a fresh coat of stain. It will look a million bucks after its sanded back properly. Cost will be less than $100.

Kris85, R R, Catsgo and 5 others like this.
  6. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

VanGogh likes this.
  7. VanGogh

VanGogh Member

Thank you Sackie! This is really great advice. I did have a sniff around and did notice reno-ed property is getting a healthier margin than un-reno. That's why I considered the reno at all. I initially thought I could resell as is (maybe just a fresh paint). The tough thing is I've been consistently reading that finding trades is hard. So I guess it comes down to how much the reno will be.

Thank you Marg4000! This is the feel I'm getting as well. A lot of places I've asked for quotes don't even bother responding. It would only be worth it if the costs line up, but it's hard to get even a feel right now.

Thank you southern-investor!! This is really great! Sounds the only professional job I'll need is the paint. I have thought about this but didn't think I have the skills to do it. I will think about this some more and see if there's anything I can do. Trades have been very difficult to book in.

Thank you Shazz! I was looking for builders and these guys didn't come up at all. These traders make a lot more sense considering the things I want to get done.

8. VanGogh

VanGogh Member

Thank you everyone! All the advice have been incredibly practical and helpful. Really appreciate your time and help.

9. southern-investor

southern-investor Well-Known Member

Trust me you'll save yourself a heap of money. Plus whilst your renovating you can sleep there on a floor mat or sleeping bag. I've done that in the past which means your accommodation in Brissy is free.

You can work on the house in between meetings or project work and work late into the night since your staying there anyway. Its going to work out beautifully if you do this.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If you are going to make these changes, and the carpets are worn out, please get new carpet. Cost is about $4000 for a three-bedroom house.

Catsgo and VanGogh like this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Here is what I would in this order:

1. Painting the place
    2. Floor coverings if carpet. It will not cost 4k for a small house. They charge per lineal meter. ...if you get one of cheaper but decent quality stuff you are looking at 2k.
    3. Spray the bathtub and wall tiles in bathroom/bathtub white and kitchen splash back.
    4. Change tap fittings in bathroom/kitchen
    5. Change vanity in bathroom and perhaps shower screen to frameless
    6. Change handles in kitchen to black
    7. Tile over bathroom floors

R R, Catsgo, VanGogh and 1 other person like this.
  12. VanGogh

VanGogh Member

Thank you sash! Very clear and practical step by step. I didn't even think of the floor covering/carpet! Re tile over bathroom floors, did you mean to replace it with new tiles?

I'm waiting for some quotes on the kitchen/bathroom refresh (fingers crossed). I work nights as well so if I were to go to Brisbane, the savings need to make sense. If you have any traders to recommend, please do!

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Just tile over top of tiles...but you will need to plane the bathroom door down. I did this in a recent reno.

VanGogh likes this.
  14. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

I am in Melbourne and think about going to Brisbane for renovation.

Do you buy an old car or hire a car for daily travel during your renovation?

15. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

@VanGogh - how was your renovation?