Brisbane closing in on Melbourne

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by standtall, 3rd May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

This below chart is very interesting .. post 2019 elections, Brisbane growth is now trailing very closely behind Melbourne after closing a massive gap as evident in early 2020. Sydney continues to widen the gap versus other capitals.

Brisbane is overall up 15% from 2019 elections.

F9183B96-1956-4CA6-A7B0-60DDA28456BE.jpeg
    chart credit to Pete Wargent Twitter

icic and Blueskies like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It looks to be more of a case Melbourne fell back. All the other locations are moving the same way

jaybean likes this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Maybe it is really gold coast ahead of Melbourne?

4. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

It's always interesting seeing these state based data. On a suburb level there are examples of the same or similar properties selling for more than 50 percent of 2018/9 prices in Melbourne. See my posts in the "Melbourne is hot" thread.
    Are there similar examples in Brisbane? Melbourne has a massive number of new housing estate sales, where price growth is always very slow, I wonder if this skews the data.

5. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Yes definitely, in fact most of inner, middle ring suburbs in Brisbane rose around 15-20% in the past 12 months alone, houses only

6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

But that was after dropping a good 5-10% during coronavirus, right?

From my distant view (I should be closer to this as I have many investments in Brisbane but I'm keeping an arms length right now), it seems inner city has had a massive 20-30% increase, while middle ring is more about 10-15%...then minus the 5-10% drop from last year, which puts the latter at a meager 5-10% tops.

As I said I haven't been following it as closely so I could be wrong.

7. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Yeah after around 5% drop (bottom around August 2020) then jumped 15-20%. Also, to be more specific I actually based on Brisbane Northern suburbs.

Whitecat and jaybean like this.
  8. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I think the rings have changed. Really what is happening is desirable places that are NOT CBD are rising astronomically, and are hitting 30% increase in 9 months. CBD is on the nose.

Proximity to lifestyle is the new thing.

Border of Logan/ GC have lifestyle properties hitting very high numbers, same as border scenic rim and GC (and GC itself). Lumping GC and Brisbane together is hiding some of the trends on the ground. We know Sunshine coast boomed as well.

None of these places are within cooee of the CBD.

jaybean likes this.
  9. supersam80

supersam80 Well-Known Member

It seems that way, possibly something to do with the 6-7 months spent in various forms of lockdown last year whilst the rest of the country lived somewhat normally in comparison.

craigc likes this.
  10. GirlPower

GirlPower Well-Known Member

I agree it would be a much more accurate graph if they took the GC out of the Brisbane stats. I would have a guess its the booming GC that has really caused the catch up on the graph. Sunshine Coast to if they are also considered "Brisbane" like GC.

boganfromlogan likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It would be interesting to see price growth colour (heat) charts for each suburb in Australia for the last 12 months on a map.
    Houses and units separated.

Last edited: 4th May, 2021
    GirlPower likes this.
  12. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Coasts have outstripped brisbane growth. It’s a lifestyle change not a Qld change. Following a fb moving to Qld thread it’s a ratio of: (out of 20)
    11 to gc
    6 to Sunshine Coast
    2 to brisbane
    1 to regional qld

GirlPower and boganfromlogan like this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF