QLD Brisbane Centenary Suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by kcbworth, 11th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kcbworth

kcbworth Well-Known Member

Just spotted a very unusual graph while browsing some suburb profiles around the centenary suburbs and was wondering whether anyone here has any insights?

Mount Ommaney 10 Year Growth
    [​IMG]

Sinnamon Park 10 Year Growth
    [​IMG]

But then look at the Seventeen Mile Rocks chart. What gives?
    [​IMG]

Additionally, in my opinion, Seventeen Mile Rocks is a far better place than Mt Ommaney or Sinnamon Park... so that's a bit weird.

Maybe due to lower volume of listings/sales there was just a different class of stock on the market in 2018

2. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

out of interest, how have you formed that view? my observation would be mt ommaney is mostly large 70s/80s homes on large blocks set upon a hill, sinnamon park 90/00 development with newer developments along the river and seventeen mile rocks is industrial and barely a better proposition than oxley.

MikeyBallarat and Marg4000 like this.
  3. kcbworth

I gather years ago this was the case, however over the past decade it's developed 3 of the best upmarket exclusive estates in Brisbane that I've come across in my travels

Just grabbing some random videos off youtube

1. Edenbrooke Estate - exclusive, tree lined, modern, high quality

2. Windermere Estate - the biggest, and bordering Sinnamon Park / Jindalee

3. Verandah Estate - quirky, architecturally designed, executive

This is some of the best, tree lined contemporary stock in all of Brisbane council (that I know of at least), at a generally accessible price point, so not sure why the downturn last year (although I suspect if I look at the underlying sales data there will simply be an over representation of smaller / less desirable stock, rather than an actual decrease)

4. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

yes edenbrooke is "nice" but one estate hardly makes a suburb. equally windamere at sinnamon park doesn't mean they're all 50 square river front properties either.

to be clear, i wasn't having a crack... early 00's when we were looking at our first home, we seriously considered seventeen mile rocks as it provided good value for money, relatively easy access to cbd via either ipswich rd & centenary hwy... buses & train at either darra or oxley

kcbworth likes this.
  5. 4theBoys

4theBoys Member

was it a similar trend across other surrounding suburbs say Jamboree Heights, Jindalee etc? Would be interesting to see them plotted on one charts as it seems there are some quite notable price differences across adjoining suburbs.

6. kcbworth

Jamboree Heights
    [​IMG]

Jindalee

upload_2019-2-13_10-0-59.png

7. 4theBoys

4theBoys Member

Thanks. Looking at the 2013 levels i guess the difference in pricing between the neighbouring suburbs has been there in the past, but interesting to see how they are trending over time. Do you know what has driven this disparity? Guess the shopping centre in Mt Ommaney would be one of the key factors which draws people to that suburb first?

8. kcbworth

Jamboree Heights and Jindalee are significantly older areas and probably have a lot of smaller homes (3 bedders). Mt Ommaney is a lot large mcmansion style homes.

Sinnamon Park and Seventeen Mile Rocks are predominantly 15-20 year old lowset brick homes, although Seventeen Mile Rocks (and potentially Sinnamon Park if that's where Windermere estate is) does have many areas with the < 10 year old multi level contempary homes.

The side of the motorway makes a difference - e.g. Seventeen Mile Rocks and Sinnamon Park align more so with the train stations of Oxley and Darra, and I think many kids from these areas go to upmarket schools around near Graceville and Corinda. Whereas the other side of the highway (which does include newer suburbs like Middle Park, Riverhills, and Westlake) are likely to use the established schools of Jindalee.

Some of these suburbs - particularly Jindalee, Westlake, and Sinnamon Park, were badly impacted by floods also

9. 4theBoys

4theBoys Member

Thanks kcbworth for the insight. It will be interesting to see if the older suburbs change over time as the younger population steps in, particularly where the income levels are similar across the patch. Shopping centre seems to be buzzing. What is the connection like into the city?

10. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

IMO centenary suburbs are hidden secret, especially Jamboree Heights, Middle Park are undervalued.

11. 4theBoys

4theBoys Member

Not sure it is a hidden secret. From the charts above the prices have gone up. Perhaps it is more fundamental differences why the differences in suburbs within the area. If is it just age of housing/population, then IMO this should normalize over time, but is it more the proximity to shops, transport, schools?? always difficult to pin point it...

12. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

definitely affected by dismal transport options - mostly serviced by infrequent buses that get stuck in congestion and the jindalee bridge/centenary motorway is an absolute disgrace, plus not real notable schools knocking the lights out... all of these suburbs are more than "nice enough" but they do have major infrastructure constraints.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

I own in 17 mile rocks and it's always hard to get an accurate median sale price graph because of lack of sales. But i feel that suburb has grown largely in line with median prices for houses in Brissy. I paid 465k exactly 5 years ago and last valuation in Oct 2018 was 580k. That's around 5% pa compounded. IMO i expect a similar growth trajectory the next 5 years for these suburbs.

ndpjai and kcbworth like this.
  14. kcbworth

Fingers crossed for you, well done

15. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

I have one in Riverhills and found similar...5.5%CAGR over the past four years

ndpjai likes this.
  16. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I live in Middle Park, so hoping for some good CG in the future!

17. 4theBoys

4theBoys Member

Would this not impact Mt Ommaney and Sinnamon Park also which have had stellar growth it seems