Brisbane already edging past Sydney on last 5 years growth

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by standtall, 11th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

It's a widespread perception that Sydney property prices had a massive hike in last 5 years while Brisbane failed to boom.

As of March 2019, here are 5 years growth numbers on some of the suburbs from both cities.

Brisbane
    • Camp Hill 33%
    • Seven Hills 31%
    • Strathpine 24%
    • Wishart 26%
    • Grange 29%
    Sydney
    • Ryde 25%
    • The Ponds 27%
    • Epping 22%
    • West Pennant Hills 31%
    • Kogarah 33%
    In summary:

• Inner suburbs have grown more than outer suburbs in both cities. Sydney outer suburbs posted decent growth but lost a big chunk off that growth in last 18 months. Brisbane outer suburbs have been slow and steady.
    • Asian dominated suburbs in Sydney have been the worst performers both in capital gains and yields.
    If Sydney slides another 5-10% and Brisbane holds its value, Brisbane will be a clear winner on capital growth and it's already far ahead of Sydney in terms of yields.

Congratulate yourself if you diversified into Brisbane in last 5 years!!

icic, MWI, wombat777 and 3 others like this.
  2. CheckMate

CheckMate Well-Known Member

Wow, you're certainly easy to change views...

3. muller23

muller23 Well-Known Member

Brisbane will also fall,just a matter of time

croseks and Whitecat like this.
  4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Lets not change this thread/forum into the scene of days of our lives!

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Depending which camp you're in bed with on here nowadays its more like....

20190312_033334.jpg

TMNT likes this.
  6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

It's already started Brisbane's going to fall by at least 8% overall is my prediction I can't see how it could not fall by at least that amount

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

20 to 30% growth in Brisbane suburbs over five years does not demonstrate a boom in anyone's vocabulary. That is slow and steady 4 to 5 % pa. I cant fathom why these numbers would need to fall 8%.

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think some people's expectations of Brisbane lies somewhere between fantasy land and boomville obsession.

Brisbane has many strong and steady markets, some of which have seen some great returns over the last few years IF you bought the right type of dwelling in the right locations.

I have been very happy with my Brisbane purchases because my expectations were realistic and my chosen add value approach has paid off.

MWI, wylie, Ben_j and 3 others like this.
  9. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

You cant take snapshots of markets.

@ Different times in the market cycle.

10. standtall

I am invested in both and optimistic in both. I think the key point here is that Brisbane hasn't done that bad and there is now some value in Sydney which will mean it has to do better moving forward.

11. standtall

Agree with your views on Brisbane. My Brisbane purchases in last 3 years have done well but mainly because they were in the inner ring. A lot of Sydney money has gone into outskirts of Brisbane and they are yet to see much growth.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Brisbane outskirts will never see much growth over a short or even medium term period. I personally would never invest in Brisbane outskirts. I'd choose inner city, sleepy snory Adelaide with add value potential before losing my mind and going Brisbane outskirts .

Many people went outskirts cos I presume that's where their budget took them *. IMHO that's a mistake . Buy according to value not the drum of your budget. If a budget can't afford the value then look elsewhere. Dont settle for jungle-mania outskirts . That's how I see it .

* and if they could afford much better but settled for outskirts then some heads need to be hit against the brick wall.

Last edited: 12th Mar, 2019
    neK likes this.
  13. standtall

I know people who made unseen bulk purchases in Logan LGA. Dodgy brokers who made commissions from lenders like Liberty and also from selling/buying agents encouraged their customers to exhaust their LVRs in Brisbane. A friend who bought 20+ unseen properties operated solely on the principal of "maximising overall portfolio" and believed that rising prices will take care of the rest. Now if he fails to refinance and reduce his interest rates in next few months, he is at the danger of losing his home.

Cate Bell likes this.
  14. KevinJ

KevinJ Well-Known Member

I do recall that ryde and Epping achieved over 35% of growth between 2012-2014, hence not a good snapshot to take a 5 year average from 14-19'...

15. standtall

I think the key point is that Sydney bubble has been deflated so much that it's not looking any better than Brisbane.

16. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

Strathpine isn't inner Brisbane...

17. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

That Ryde 25% figure looks too good to be true. Is it for houses only or everything residential?

Got a new unit there that’s appreciated jack all in 5 years.

Dsign likes this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Please provide evidence on what you bought in Brisbane..... that the numbers work.

From my perspective....trying to sell new1.0m house on smaller 400sqm blocks is a pipe dream in places like Camp Hill, Mansfield, Mt Gravatt, and Seven Hills Even if you bought a 800sqm block for 700k split and then sell is a pipe dream. I will cost 350k for the land...plus another 100k for devie approval and holding costs....50k for stamps/legals/sell costs plus another 450-500k for buidl costs. A pipe dream.

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Mar, 2019
    muller23 likes this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I aint wasting a second on you. Ciao.

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Mar, 2019
    kierank likes this.
  20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Here is some evidence....not 31 Spencer St Mt Gravatt is a huge house....is it struggled to sell at 1.37m. So some people on here are pulling someone's leg. No chance that a house on 400sqm block would sell for 1.3m. Maybe $1m...but that is tough..so the so called experts of these markets have no clue!

Houses for Sale in Mount Gravatt East, QLD 4122 - realestate.com.au

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Mar, 2019