QLD Brisbane... Again. Suburb vs Property???

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by tazy400, 11th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tazy400

tazy400 Member

Hi Guys

Some of you may recognise my handle from SS, where i asked for some advise a few years back on Brissy, luckily you guys are awesome and really assisted in helping me make some key decisions back then re areas - so here's to hoping you can help again! :)

I have 2 IP's in Brisbane already, Kedron and Zillmere which are doing well and have plenty of potential for reno's in the future. I am now looking for my third and struggling to decide between south vs north (within 15km of CBD) vs Redcliffe and all the anticipated train line growth (seriously questioning the real effect it will have and when!?!?). Strategy wise I need quick CG, something that will grow in value by 100k in 12 months would be perfect - Budget is up to 600k btw

I am also toying with following the asian investment and looking at the ripple effect from eight mile plains to runcorn/Algester VS infrastructure/new shopping centres on the north side... I have a heap of data free and paid for via pricefinder but am struggling to make a view based on it - so far it has helped me narrow down to about 10 suburbs.

and yes I have been up here all weekend and am more confused than before i started... :confused:

That's really MY QUESTION - do you guys buy based on 1 or 2 suburbs or put more emphasis on finding the right property in multiple areas???

Thanks in advance!!!

Tekoz likes this.
  2. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Identify your goals first (for this buy).
    Yield or CG?
    Add value or hold?
    House and land or townhouse?

Then narrow down to the 20 suburbs that meet that goal.

Then look at those 20 suburbs cut out the ones that you cannot afford.

Then look at the rest and research Micro factors. Talk to people, discuss on property chat, check the council map for flood or bus fire risk, check the vacancy rates and other factors.

Narrow down to a cluster of a couple of suburbs.

However once the agents get you on their list they may still call you about bargains in other suburbs. Then you have to work hard to research that too if it's worth it

Tekoz, Nathan Simon, samiam and 4 others like this.
  3. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Listening to the podcast from the propertycouch (Bryce from Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location Australia) they were restating Pareto's law to be that 80% of return is from the suburb/location, while 20% is from the property itself. They exempted largescale apartments from this "rule".

I chose Redcliffe peninsular first, and am going closer in next.

If you must have $100k within 12 months, then you're really going to have to pick the market. You've got a $600k max you say, so you need 17% growth in 12 months guaranteed. Phew!

Forget about fiddling with ripple effect as that's more for medium term. None of that infrastructure stuff will make any difference in the next 12 months unless it's pretty much already finished and the upswing is well underway.

For Brisbane, choose one of the suburbs that's already seriously on the go. You'll pay a big premium, above market price, but you've got a chance at your 17%. Sunnybank and surrounds may be your best bet.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you need to manufacture growth "somewhere" of $100k within the next twelve months are you better to renovate the current two to increase valuations and access funds?

This would not be my choice. I would rather buy again to get a bigger footprint that will grow and renovate later, but perhaps explaining why you need an extra $100k in twelve months will help clarify?

Whitecat and DanW like this.
  5. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

@tazy400 Totally understand your predicament. I just returned from Brissie....and still confused. :eek: You're in a better position though, as you already have 2 :p

6. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Confused...? Are you saying the catch up with other forum members and all that good info didn't help....?! :rolleyes: :( :eek:

Catalyst and Dale like this.
  7. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@tazy400 if you are looking for CG then yes, you can't go wrong by investing within 15 KM of CBD radius.

Outside the Brisbane CBD area, I'd say the suburbs around Ipswich, Ormeau and Upper Coomera it has so much growth potential for the next 5 years ahead.

Whitecat likes this.
  8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Have you got your first property yet Tekoz?

I'm not sure I'd buy in Ormeau or upper coomera. Loads of land, and for little more money you can be a whole lot closer to either Brisbane or GC, instead of the in-between no-mans lands.

Whitecat and Tekoz like this.
  9. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Because:

http://www.realestate.com.au/new-homes/new-house+land-in-ormeau,+qld+4208/list-1
    http://www.realestate.com.au/new-homes/new-house+land-in-upper+coomera,+qld+4209;+/list-1
    http://www.realestate.com.au/new-homes/new-house+land-in-ipswich+-+greater+region,+qld/list-1

Look at them pretty houses

Tekoz likes this.
  10. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Based on my experience here and in the previous old forum, The correct strategy here is not to buy new House as stated by many people in this forum, so I guess those houses that you put there can be used as the benchmark of how the area has performed in the past few months.

I'm sure those builders or developers has done their research well to predict the boom in the region.
    (who knows there will be infrastructure project planned in the area by the local govt) ?

11. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Developers couldn't care less if an area booms or not. If an area has affordable land, a local council that encourages development and good profit margins they will build there. Marketing etc will attract the buyers (unwitting or not), flog off the stock and off they go to the next project. Once sold they would not care one iota whether or not there's oversupply in the area or good prospective growth in the area because the buyers bear the consequences

Whitecat, RM1827, Tekoz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

I agree with what @Befuddled says.

My first ever IP was my first ever mistake - buying a block of land in Melton, Victoria and building a new house on it. Melton Council is pro-development but there is so much land, so how has my capital growth been...? It's worth less now then 5 years ago. Least I learnt a lot though ;)

Whitecat, cheekykoon and ej89 like this.
  13. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@Kael Did you bought it from John L. Fitzgerald (Custodian Wealth Builders group) ?

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/business/prop...a-chinese-investors-told-20150624-ghx2sh.html

Heinz57 likes this.
  14. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Haha can't say I did, Tekoz :p

He sounds like a typical property spruiker.

ej89 and Tekoz like this.
  15. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Fitzgerald has made a lot of people wealthy. Unfortunately these are mostly the commission agents selling his overpriced properties.

Tekoz and ej89 like this.
  16. tazy400

tazy400 Member

Hi guys thanks for the advise, had my alerts switched off and only just noticed all your replies now!!! :p

The 100k in 12 months is really just me being a bit ambitious I guess and the fact that it will take a while to save for another deposit without it. I had some luck buying in Mt Druitt NSW 2 years ago and made 90k in abut 12 months which has helped me be able to afford this next purchase so I know it's doable but perhaps that was a perfect storm scenario and not the norm...

That does logically make more sense however both are tenanted at present and like you I also feel like i want to increase my footprint (well for the next 6 months at least ;)) and then spend some time getting up to speed on how the hell I manage renovations interstate - looking to raise one of the properties so it's a big undertaking...:confused:

Anyhow for anyone looking in brissy feel free to drop me a note and I'll give back what advice I can... :)

17. Bryan Loughnan

Bryan Loughnan Well-Known Member

Why a 3rd property in Brisbane??? This would be akin to a share investor who has CBA and Westpac shares 'diversifying' by buying NAB shares?? Yes, they are different shares and will move slightly differently but ultimately they are all driven by the same industry - financial services.

Just the same way, by buying a 3rd property in Brisbane, your portfolio will be heavily influenced by Business Services, Tourism, Construction and Mining!! By looking outside of Brisbane and probably outside of QLD, you can diversify your portfolio by exposing yourself to different state governments (public opinion of state governments influences general business and consumer confidence which in turn affects economic conditions and property markets) - there is also stamp duty concessions available to you by diversifying your portfolio.

Most importantly though - you could select a location with an economy which will be driven by different industries. Just like an astute share investor would do.

larrylarry likes this.
  18. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Logan has done 20% in the last 12months, that will get you your 100k. My Penrith place just did just shy of 10% in 3months!
    Just as long as Brissy keeps going strong

Tekoz and Tim86 like this.
  19. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Poor assumptions @Tekoz not every developer make good money and they can get it wrong.

Bryan Loughnan likes this.
  20. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I think providing they can sell their product developers don't care, look at whats happened with overbuilding in Chinchilla, Gladstone or Gracemere.

Whitecat, Bryan Loughnan and Tekoz like this.