Sports & Fitness Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 21st Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Brisbane confirmed as 2032 Olympic Games host city

Brisbane has won the right to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2032.

The decision was confirmed after a meeting of International Olympic Committee delegates in Tokyo.

An expanded Gabba stadium will be the centrepiece of the Brisbane Games, which will run from July 23 to August 8, to be immediately followed by the Paralympics.

Events will be staged at more than 30 venues across south-east Queensland in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Logan, Ipswich and Redlands.

Two athlete villages are expected to be constructed — one in Brisbane, the other on the Gold Coast.

...​

Gen-Y, Gockie and propinvest888 like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How long before Qld sticks its hand out for Federal Govt grants?

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It seem's a lifetime away :oops:

4. Simon Hampel

Quite literally in one sense.

It's 11 years away ... my son is 12 years old ... so it's almost his entire life so far, still to wait.

We've already received multiple messages from friends who are promising to buy tickets to see him compete in sprints and/or hurdles at the 2032 Olympics.

He'll be turning 24 that year - so he'll be the same age that Rohan Browning is now.

I've assured him that we have no expectations - if that ends up being a goal he wants to pursue, we'll support him - but won't be disappointed if he decides to focus his efforts on other activities.

A lot can change in 11 years!

Gockie, Mulianto, PropDir and 3 others like this.
  5. Simon Hampel

I'd be surprised if there haven't already been discussions with the federal government about that - as part of their planning to make the bid.

6. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

As long as not a single dollar comes from the feds, I guess it can only help bring more tourism to the country. Aren't the Olympics almost always a poor financial decision for the host state (in hindsight)?

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Might even be out of lockdown by then :D

ozwanderlust likes this.
  8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I understand the cost is being split 50:50 between Queensland and Federal governments.

Thanks so much Australia :p.

Time to update my volunteer resume methinks.

9. Simon Hampel

I know a lot of people volunteered at the Sydney Olympics and I've generally heard very positive things about the experience.

lost nomad and kierank like this.
  10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did G20 (driver), Asian Cup (airport team leader) and 2018 Commonwealth Games (IT support at velodrome and shooting range).

Really enjoyed all three experiences, albeit each very different.

Player, ChrisP73 and Firefly99 like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

On the rare occasion, you can still see the blue jackets that the volunteers wore.

12. Simon Hampel

I know a couple of people who still sport their Sydney 2009 World Masters Games backpacks - my wife even has one (given to her by her work - she was not actually involved) which she uses as her work go-bag.

13. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Very exciting.

How do you think this is going to impact property prices in QLD in short-to-medium term?

14. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

hmmm, hadn't thought of volunteering. Think I might have to put my hand up - should be "retired" by then!

kierank likes this.
  15. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Already has!!

16. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

11 years? Look what has happened in less than 2 !!

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

brisbane olympics.jpg

Gockie likes this.
  18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I was a scorer at Invictus games sitting volleyball 2018 and at the Sydney World Beach volleyball event 2019. Both great experiences. Sitting volleyball is amazing, not easy to move around when you are sitting… (very difficult game for the referees too btw got to watch for bum lifts etc along with everything else thanks going on in the game)…. First time scoring the beach volleyball though, and it started bucketing down during the match, then hailing. Crazy stuff. We had a PC to enter the data and we had to keep the laptop dry under a plastic box etc while entering the score data… during the rush to get out of the rain and hail we might have lost the tournament wet bulb thermometer (whoops)…. Only because of the hail did the games get paused. I would have done it again in 2020, but then Covid happened…. :(

Last edited: 22nd Jul, 2021
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I just tried to find a clip of Sharon Strzelecki (Magda Szubanski) auditioning for a volunteer position in the Sydney games... so funny and so cringeworthy at the same time.

Gockie likes this.
  20. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

The bid was made on the promise that we had almost all the infrastructure we needed. Only 15% missing from what I understand.

The IOC must have difficulty smelling, cause I don't even need to fact check that to smell the turd from all the way here in Sydney.

I mean seriously how stupid are some people?

Brisbane may be a great venue on its own merits. I have lots of property in Brisbane so it can only benefit me so I shouldn't even be complaining. But 15% is an insult to everyone's intelligence.

Watch the budget go 2-3-4-5x over.

I kind of don't even care if we go over budget, everyone is psychologically ready for it, it's just the blatant lie that annoys me.

If anyone seriously thinks we're a few small tweaks from being ready, I have a bridge to sell you.

I think what it comes down to is this: which country is making up the most BS? They're all lying out of their teeth. No one in the last 30 years has come within budget. I guess they determined Brisbane was the least full of @#%! out of the lot.

In all seriousness if they're going to lie why not go the full distance: just say the city is ready, $0 needs to be spent, and they could host it literally tomorrow if the IOC wanted to. Don't hold back, I mean what's the point?

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2021