Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Casteller, 8th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Yes that is very interesting thanks, I hope it is true and the UK politicians find themselves unable to take on the task of leaving the EU. Millions of peoples futures are in question now, the millions of EU citizens in the UK, and the 1.3 million UK citizens living in Europe (including me, although I´m Australian by birth also). I don´t really want to be told by Spain to leave the country where my children live and where I expected to live for the longer term. Kids dont have to leave they were born here, but I cant take them with me if I have to go back to Australia or UK/England.

worth quoting a part of it:
    The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Perhaps what will happen is that they try for a re-do of the referendum and hope the people opt to stay in the EU now they've had a few days to see the implications to the value of their currency etc etc if they exit.

3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

On what possible basis can they re do the same referendum?

Bayview likes this.
  4. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Don't know but the article mentions "the referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction." I presumed that if his were so, they could re-do it.

5. The Falcon

That wouldn't be re doing the referendum, just ignoring it.

Bayview and Bran like this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I love the petition going around to re-do it.
    I figure it will need at least 17 million signatures.

7. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

The petition is up to 3.6 million signatures nows. :p

I think that the most likely reversal scenario would be if there's a snap election in November, and a Labour, LibDem, and SNP coalition wins on a Remain ticket. That would give a democratic mandate to ignore the result. But the Brexiters would keep on campaigning for leave, so the matter won't be settled.

Boris Johnson, who's likely to be the next PM, is making noises about keeping ties with Europe. That suggests EFTA membership, like Norway. The Swiss model is unlikely because the EU doesn't like it picking and choosing which directives it adheres too.

The problem here is that the Leavers wanted to get rid of EU rules, stop free movement of people to the UK, and scrap contributions. All of these would remain, but the Brits would no longer have a say in laws. It strikes me as being a worse situation than the country is in now, and the Brexit camp wouldn't be happy.

Coming up with a scenario that keeps 60% or 70% of the population happy, and that the rest of the EU can accept, is going to be hugely difficult.

8. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Brits were the pioneers of divide and rule...the bitter taste of own medicine.

If they do anything against Brexit, they might as well give the PMship to Nigel Farage on a plate.

9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

As much as id like to see it reversed, or not afopted by parliment, neither are going to happen.
    For better or worse, it was a fair democratic process and the will of the majority must be respected. Thats core to any functioning democracy.

Bayview and barnes like this.
  10. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

What a bunch of numbnuts actually voting to leave the EU. Now there is "bregret", loads say now they didn't really know what they were doing, just registering a "protest vote" against immigration, but didn't actually want to leave.
    Furious Leave voters want to change their decision because they didn't think UK would actually leave

Kind of like watching your friend buy a few off the plan apartments off a spruiker (Farange, Johnson "it will be great outside the EU" ) in a mining town.... everyone warning "dont do it"... oops.. too late, paid the deposit.

11. The Falcon

From a number of posts its clear that you have problems with realpolitik in the historical sense, particularly involving Great Britain. That you are evidently enjoying what you see is impending doom for one of the most liberal and progressive countries on the planet does seem a tad strange.

Chrispy, Sackie, HUGH72 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Skilled_Migrant

Just pointing out the ironies...for the record I would have preferred UK remained within EU.

The history of one of the most liberal and progressive country is soaked in blood of millions from various civilizations in different continents over centuries. Maybe you have a problem with historical facts.

13. truong

truong Well-Known Member

And now they want to have their cake and eat it too – leave the EU but keep the benefits.

Nocookies

14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

As opposed to any other civilization with history spanning thousands of years.:rolleyes:

Bayview likes this.
  15. Skilled_Migrant

Two wrongs make a right don't they ?

16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

No, but your historical swipe had nothing to do with the subject at hand.
    I refer you back to The Falcon's post above. He summed things up quite accurately.

17. Skilled_Migrant

That's your opinion.

Here's mine based on historical evidence:
    It had everything to do with the history, psyche (as documented by Orwell) and policies (realpolitik as preferred by Falcon) of the country which are ironically coming back to haunt it.

18. The Falcon

I have no problem with historical facts, preferring to deal in reality than emotions ;)

19. Skilled_Migrant

Then we agree on the irony of Brexit :)

20. The Falcon

There is irony here there and everywhere at the moment :)

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice