Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Casteller, 8th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Only 16 days to go until the referendum... any thoughts ?
    I am taking a particular interest as have assets in the UK having worked there for a while, plus am living in Spain now on a British (/EU) passport obtained while living there. Who know what happens to us EU expats if the UK leave. The pound will be crushed for sure, and our taxes on foreign income are likely to go up. In an extreme scenario would lose our right to live in the EU.

But Nationalist forces are at work.. the leave campaign has surged in the last week. Personally I think they will suffer a lot if they leave and I never thought it had a chance. The UK is not Switzerland, the benefits of remaining outweigh the costs.

2. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I watched the brexit movie on YouTube the other day, very interesting.
    As I don't know enough, and can only comment from the info that I absorbed from the movie. It seems it's in their best interest to leave the euro to break free from all the restrictions on foreign trade, and allow their own country to govern again. Seems like a positive step forward.

3. Casteller

That video is very one-sided, created by the Leave campaign (Nigel Farage features... enough said). I still maintain they will be much better off staying inside the EU. The EU is still evolving, inside it the UK can influence change. I´ve registered to vote, its important for me (but understandably not to most other Australians).

sanj and Barny like this.
  4. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

It's xenophobic rubbish being used as a red herring to distract from a government that is broken and has failed its people for basically a decade and is now playing its last card to keep the public distracted and divided from instituting positive changes that would cost those in control their jobs.

It's scary that it actually looks like it could win.

sanj likes this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

So... it's gone on long enough me reading about brexit but not actually knowing what brexit is. I must be living under a rock - UK are leaving the EU? Yoikes.

Barny likes this.
  6. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Well, they gotta choose at some point be in it or out. They can't be in it for the things they like (the EU market) and out for what they do not. I know a few people in different EU countries who are saying they want the UK out as they are not a team player. No idea if that reflects any widespread sentiment though.

7. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

The video may be one sided but the few points they bring up about over regulation and unelected people making rules doesn't sit right. If that is true then that would definitely choke economic growth.

I have to read more about it though as the whole thing looks very complicated.

Barny likes this.
  8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

How will it make them better off, if they stay?

Cheers

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

10. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

It's a major PITA for me at the moment. Just sold a house over there and have GBPs I want to use over here. I'm guessing the pound will be smashed for quite a while, but I can get the reasons why a large proportion of the population are over the EU.

11. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I watched a German documentary on it last week. The economic impact for the EU would be bad (UK makes up 16% of trade, from memory) but absolutely terrible for the UK.
    Not only that, but Norway, a non-EU member, has to adhere to EU laws in order to be able to be part of the European economy. If any country decided not to do this, it would essentially eliminate their European trade, which is the bulk of their foreign trade for any European country.

So the Utopian dream or leaving and being free and wealthy, is just that, a silly dream.

ellejay and wogitalia like this.
  12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty hypocritical for them. Weren't they crying when Scotland had a referendum to leave the UK? Weren't they crying that it would be the end of the world if Greece exited the EU?

13. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

This is not 50's USSR. If countries want/need to trade with the UK they will.

The Falcon likes this.
  14. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Sure, anyone can trade with anyone if they really want to, but taxes, tariffs and regulations will make it much more difficult and expensive to trade with a UK that doesn't follow EU directions than with a UK that does.

15. Casteller

Brexit was in the lead, not good. Now remain is and markets bouncing back, very close.

16. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

GBP is down in early trade.
    The counts are coming and and we are watching it unfold in the office (I work with a lot of Brits).

But it is very marginal, mostly less than 1% either way.

Blacky

17. Casteller

Scotland heavily in favour of remain, maybe give them renewed impetus to leave UK and join EU separately if England prefers leave.

18. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

they have shot themselves in the foot with the decision to leave.
    On the flip side, some really good UK real estate will be going for great prices. It will be almost as attractive as the brisbane market.

19. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I didn't realise that the Brisbane market was particularly attractive at the moment? What makes you think the uk property market will crash though?

20. House

House Well-Known Member

And Cameron just quit?!!!