Body Corp fees too high ?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Jenny, 24th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Block of 6 in Brisbane I pay $220 per quarter admin fund.

2. P Roperty

P Roperty Member

Same, I pay $236 per quarter for a block of 6 in Brisbane. BB5, we can both sleep at night hahaha

BB5 likes this.
  3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

to be honest if we're talking apartments and not townhouses id be worried if its that low. Just over $5k for strata management fee, insurance, little bit of maintenance/cleaning, electricity, etc

4. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

No strata management fee, it is self ran. Insurance Is 4k. No lift. Minimal garden maintenance required. Mainly owner occupiers who look after the place.

5. Matthew Savage

Matthew Savage Well-Known Member

That does seem too cheap. Are you sure that your scheme is doing its annual fire inspections & occupier's statements and safety reports, and 5 yearly insurance valuations? If your building was built prior to 1984 you also need an asbestos audit.

Compliance seems like money for nothing (and often is) until someone trips over and hires a no win-no fee lawyer to sue the body corporate and committee members.

It's worth looking into those areas to make sure you are adequately protected. There is no insurance cover available for committee members that are negligent (committee members are required by acquire an understanding of the BCCM Act and to take reasonable steps to ensure that they have complied with the Act).

Matt

Pixie likes this.
  6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Some Body Corps in Brisbane

Low Set - no pool etc

Ascot $400/ qtr Admin $280/ qtr Sinking
    Clayfield $365/qtr Admin $115/qtr Sinking

Highrise

CBD $1600 / qtr Admin $150/qtr Sinking
    Valley $1350/qtr Admin $190/qtr Sinking

7. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

thats what I was thinking too, the only way it's possible, and even then it's tight, is if we're talking townhouses on a strata plan and not apartments as the fire safety inspection issues etc are not a factor and there usually isn't the need for cleaners, bin collection etc as everyone does their own

8. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

No need for cleaners, bin collection and fire equipment is maintained regularly and also compliant with evacuation plans etc. Built in the 90s no asbestos. I'm not sure why the surprise. We aren't talking a big block here. Also managed to knock insurance down substantially with previous insurer by getting many competing quotes. I doubt a 3rd party would bother unless pressed.

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, $1,200 seems pretty common, and a good deal, on the older ones.