VIC Blue chip/hotspot suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by AdamPineapples, 25th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

I suppose that depends what your budget is. Plenty of people must have IPs in expensive areas otherwise there wouldnt be anywhere to rent.

Whats your budget? Someone might suggest a suburb. Sunshine has definitely been popular.

2. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

is it really?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Esel & @AdamPineapples - I'd disagree too. There's plenty of areas that you wouldn't touch this week in the 15km radius but they'll look cheap with 20-20 hindsight in 5-25 years.

4. AdamPineapples

AdamPineapples Well-Known Member

Meaning what exactly?

5. AdamPineapples

AdamPineapples Well-Known Member

I havnt bought my first IP yet.
    I'm assuming $300K - $400K

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Using Sydney as the example, you couldn't give away property in Redfern up until a few years ago now you'd be hard pressed to find anything half decent sub-$700k.

juzzy likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Some our early IP's in these areas were apartments, as it was the only way we could afford into them. IMHO older, small block apartments still provide a low(er) outlay path into inner city burbs to get your toes wet in the IP game.

The Y-man

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah...unbelievable... And it's not like the residents of Redfern have gentrifed much to warrant such an increase in prices . Just goes to show there ain't much justice in this world.:)

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hehehe. I totally LOVE my Darlington IP which is a 4 minute walk to Redfern Station. Sooooo handy! I bought last October when it seemed like the market had a mini cool down. I got a bargain. How good is the area?! Handy to 3 unis, nice parks in the area, Newtown is in walking distance... I swear its totally blue chip.
    :D

And the tent embassy has gone as of about 3 weeks ago.
    I do expect a big development to go in there, but i'm sure it will be more visually appealing than a tent embassy! Tip. Darlington is a gem!!

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Darlington still has a crime stigma attached to it.
    I dont fancy the 10 minute walk from Redfern Station at night .

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hehe. Your loss! Its a happening area. I have a Smallish Pub and cafe across the street.
    Redfern markets outside the community centre the first Friday of every month.
    Its a really safe area to walk in at night too since during uni term there are always hundreds of Sydney Uni students walking in the area to get to Uni from the station.

I know Dundas Valley was still considered a bad area up until maybe 7 years ago, but just recently my parents old house there sold for 1.32mill. Since they sold in the 1990's it went up a whopping 12% pa. (The huge land, developer friendly council, generally good location all contributed to that massive increase).
    So, you know good old gentrification???

Anyway, best time to buy in an area is when it is considered undesirable as long as it's positioned well! When it becomes hipster, then there's no more cheap buying.

WattleIdo likes this.