Bloomberg: "Runaway Australian Property Market Shows First Signs of Cooling"

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Fortune Favors the Bold, 21st Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Bold Well-Known Member

2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Says from my reading that the growth of the boom cycle is unsustainable and that we won't have a crash, but flat growth at some point (maybe soon).

No shocks for me.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It doesn't affect my strategy, it confirms it. My plan was always to finish my current build then save up/offset/pay down debt to be ready for the next upswing. I believe there is a lot of money to be made in the next boom for those who are prepared.

HUGH72 and Sackie like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

PERTH.....my darling Perth...just hold on a little longer..:D:D:p

Perthguy likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

big max likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I feel the same way... not yet! not yet! ;) :)

Sackie likes this.
  7. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

According to the ABS (and Domain, which gave very similar results) year on year national growth is already pretty paltry at 3.5%, down from 10.7%. Sydney has stalled to about 2% (after peaking at 19%). So the market has cooled. Whether it will cool further remains to be seen.

2FAST4U likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Syd and Melb been booming since 2013, it makes sense to cover your bases. Regardless of what you read in the papers etc. need to focus on your own patch and the signs.

Clearly the interest rates have risen, many will say it aint enough, wrong to assume this because as it continues to rise it chips away at the investor/buyer psyche and market sentiment can work the other way. We are also now hearing news about the economy and its not all rosy another sign. Not saying the sky will fall, but why ignore these that would be foolish especially if you plan to make money moving forward.

MTR:)

big max and SOULFLY3 like this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...which is why you need to have a diversified portfolio....if you only concentrated in the Sydney market....you will be waiting a while..and some will sell out of sheer frustration.....

SOULFLY3, fols and MTR like this.
  10. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Diversification for the win. Post the last boom when Sydney went sideways for 6 or so years, Brisbane pretty much doubled. The good times will roll if that happens again. Not sure I see it though.

11. highlighter

One of the particularly worrying things about Australia's market is negative gearing. Demographically speaking, the vast bulk of negatively geared investors are 1) baby Boomers and thus 2) very close to retirement and likely uncomfortable a period of protracted financial loss.The thing about negative gearing is that, in order to make it work, you need your capital gains to offset your losses. So, while negative gearing probably helped extend Australia's residential boom, it may well also become its pin.

In a bubble, a lot of investors are inexperienced and in over their heads, and they're the real danger. On a forum like this it's easy to think "we've got this" but the problem isn't savvy investors, it's the hordes of idiots who thought property would be their get rich quick scheme - the ones who've bought recently, indiscriminately, blindly and expensively. Many of those investors, if they see their capital gains and profitability dry up, could be out of pocket tens of thousands a year in costs. Oversupply has made the rental market quite loose in many areas, which adds to the panic potential.That's my concern anyway.

marty998, muller23, 2FAST4U and 3 others like this.
  12. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

This should not be a concern, should be seen as profit

highlighter likes this.
  13. House

House Well-Known Member

Looks like Boomers (56-70?) are only around 30% of Neg Gearers

IMG_5556.jpg

Roshy, Perthguy and HUGH72 like this.
  14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

In a bubble, a lot of investors are inexperienced and in over their heads, and they're the real danger. On a forum like this it's easy to think "we've got this" but the problem isn't savvy investors, it's the hordes of idiots who thought property would be their get rich quick scheme - the ones who've bought recently, indiscriminately, blindly and expensively. Many of those investors, if they see their capital gains and profitability dry up, could be out of pocket tens of thousands a year in costs. Oversupply has made the rental market quite loose in many areas, which adds to the panic potential.That's my concern anyway.

There is enough real estate agents out there clumsily trying to sell you something..But just do the simple numbers on any area does not matter what city--what small area --but the few i look at over 65% own the property outright ,they would not care less about the price some will stay there for over 25 years depending on school and local uni locations..

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's one important factor we look at, we try build stock in areas of higher family/ppor buyers as opposed to investor areas/stock.

16. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    That's probably true for Melb/Syd. In Perth/Adelaide/Brisbane since 2010 median prices have only risen by inflation.

crusstopher likes this.
  17. highlighter

True.

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Keep in mind your not buying into the median price of Brisbane, but certain surburbs that show opportunity.

just my opinion.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

.... but highlighter it is also investors that buy at peak regardless how savvy they are, booms have a way of making people think they are invincible and they actually become convinced that the good times will keep rolling, they lose their heads.

I have read a number of posts on PC from investors who think that the boom in Sydney will never end or that it wont correct significantly ... why ???because its Sydney and its land locked and just so desirable, how crazy is that

Boom/Bust cycles are all about supply and demand, if people stop buying because -
    interest rates start rise, affordability FHB pull out, economy goes sideways, Lending starts tightening etc etc people stop buying and more stock comes onto the market. Therefore we go from low stock to too much stock and prices go south. This is how its been working for generations I don't think anything is going to change anytime soon.

MTR:)

20. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Rates have risen? Mine haven't...