Blinds - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Nigel, 4th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I'm looking at finding a relatively cost-effective alternative to the blinds I currently have in an investment property. Tenants have just moved out so using this window to replace carpet with laminate, paint throughout and ideally have these blinds fixed.

The closeup image is of the kitchen, not sure if a different type of blind would be required here given it's just above the sink? The current blinds as you see go up and down. The other two are throughout the living area. They're not exactly the most aesthetically pleasing.

Had a look online and roller blinds look quite good and are reasonably priced. Any recommendations/suggestions are appreciated. Also an idea on install costs/or recommended party to do this.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Matchstick blinds are really inexpensive and can look really good in the right setting. They let through a nice light

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are those apartments I can see through the window?

if so, I would stick with aluminium venetian Blinds as they can help with privacy as well as let light in.

Rich2011 and Shogun like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Roller blinds would be my pick rather than Venetians.

Archaon likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@Mel Morgan put me onto No Bull Blinds. We are doing a four townhouse development and curtain quotes were around $9k per unit. For immediate sale, curtains would add plenty of "wow" but we are holding these for rental, so we're not prepared to spend that type of money, but still need to provide privacy without looking cheap.

I did look at online curtains and blinds but found we didn't really save a lot that way, and also we take on the risk of getting measurements right, and also we pay to have them installed (over 48 windows to cover). If I get a measurement wrong, I get to fix it. No thanks.

So when I looked into No Bull Blinds, I was able to do online quote to get an idea of pricing, but they are coming out to quote once we are ready for them. Free quote and installation. I am feeling confident we will go with them.

We should save a fair chunk of money, will install inset to the frames, so that when we do decide to sell, we can install some sheer curtains over the top if we want to soften the look.

We also have large sliding doors that don't have any overlooking or privacy issues, but even in a Brisbane winter, bare glass feels cold, so I'll look at adding sheers on those doors, depending on price.

We have a quote lined up in two weeks, but I have to push that back as it is still too early. Otherwise, I could report back on how we went with them.

6. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

7. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

@wylie - with 48 windows, don't forget to ask No Bull for a discount!

@Nigel - as a developer and property manager, I highly recommend roller blinds for simplicity and a streamlined modern look. You have a lovely outlook on the balcony and could consider a translucent version instead of full blockout. I have used No Bull more than a dozen times and have always been happy.

Nigel, wylie and Archaon like this.
  8. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Roman blinds for the kitchen imo.
    Roller blinds for hung windows and vertical(curtains) for sliding doors is my guess.

Nigel likes this.
  9. Spad

Spad Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that Frey the edges? How do you move the mechanism?

Joynz likes this.
  10. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

you will have a clean cut if your mitre saw is fully at speed when you cut it.

no it will not damage the mechanism because [if I remember correctly] it is on one side only, you cut the other side.

I have one installed in the laundry window, and it works !

However if your window is very wide, the Ikea one might not be long enough.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Have to get started on a reno this week. am tempted to go down the curtain route bc they're more foolproof, especially eyelet curtains. Done the math also and roller blinds = $1800, curtains = $700.

Considering this MERETE Room darkening curtains, 1 pair, white bleached, 145x250 cm - IKEA and this in the bedrooms HILLEBORG Block-out curtains, 1 pair, grey, 145x250 cm - IKEA

Not normally a fan of curtains but when hung high (these curtains are 2.5m), they elevate the perceived height of the room.

Question: is it a problem having different coloured curtains in the bedrooms vs the living room?

12. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

I think it is OK, i.e. sometimes only bedroom has carpet...
    light blocking sometimes is essential in bedrooms, and it will be weird for living room...