Cars & Motorbikes Blasphemy

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hammer, 14th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Spent the week in my uncle's Mercedes C class and......

It's not that good?

Like don't get me wrong it's a fine car with interesting tech. BUT it's also filled with plastic, and it's noisy. It doesn't feel like the quality I remember from Mercedes of my childhood

Maybe the E is better? I don't know. But if it was a choice between this and a new Camry/6 (20-30k saving) I know which one i'd pick.

Anyone else feel this way about a modern Mercedes?

EN710 and Terry_w like this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The only problem with Mercedes is they don't hold their face value,and the ones i have one is over 15 years old the last of the supercharged from design and specifications by AMG's and signed on the motor by German engineer Ruddie the rev head before the Kompressor motors were installed and made in Stuttgart those models even the AMG'S are like tanks and spare parts are no more then the costs to run a toyota 4x4 ..The new models are unlike the old maybe faster and drop in value every day..

The strange item is as history flows onwards when i first starting investing in 1983 with 4k in my back pocket
    and a dream anyone that drove a merc back then had money these days they are as common as xxxxxxx..

Watch this after 1--17 seconds ..

3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

For Merc I think you need to move up from a simple C-class, maybe C43 or something like that, and buy the package thing.

We looked at GLA earlier because I wanted a small SUV and like you, didnt like the interior; the chrome feels like plastic and the colour of the chrome beaming at from from everywhere.. too much chrome. Also we wanted beige interior but they only produce what I call the black-and-white version. To go all beige we'll need to pay a lot more...

My husband used to have a Toyota Aurion Presario, top of the range, and it drives like a limousine. It has huge body and very heavy. Driving from Brisbane to Hunter Valley was so comfy I could sleep in the car (I dont normally sleep when travelling/flying)

4. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I agree - a base model Merc is a waste of money from a quality and value proposition.

Better off buying a Lexus!

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Similar observation after a ride in my BIL's Merc S205 C200 a few years back. I wrote elsewhere on this forum - but I was shocked that at less than a year old, the car had developed a really annoying squeak somewhere around the top of the passenger door frame ~ it was driving me nuts as I sat in the passenger seat while on a smooth highway! (Not to mention when they had a flat tyre on the highway, they needed a flat bed to come and pick them up ~ the run flat didn't want to play....)

I also occasionally get to drive a friend's W204 C200 which is newer than my Mazda 2, and has less km on it. It has a faulty Cruise Control (occasionally works) which the service people can't seem to get right, a faulty brake light failure detection, and just a horrible first gear on the auto that takes ages to get going.....

Sorry to offend people, but it just wasn't a "fine car"

The Y-man

hammer likes this.
  6. lmac

lmac Active Member

As a valet in a former life I have driven just about every car there is to drive (on our roads at least).

If money if no object purchase a Lexus LFA - the most impressive car I've ever driven. In the vein of a Porsche but somehow more exuberant and equisite at once.

Beyond that the only "luxury badge" vehicle that's even remotely stood out to me in it's class was a fully loaded BMW 7 Series (nice car) and the CL63/65 AMG models from Mercedes for those big barky engines.

If you drive and compare a loaded Mazda 3 to a base Mercedes C-Class, BMW 3 Series & Audi A3 the Mazda wins hands down. In fact the Golf is the second best in this class after the Mazda and also beats out all the luxury competitors. Tesla have recently started dominating this space overseas but I've never driven one so can't comment.

In the micro class the same story... If you were handing them out for free I'd take a lowly NIssan Micra oven an Audi A1. The Micra had the disposition and sight lines of a tiny truck whereas the A1 felt a handbag surrounded by blind spots.

My family had a BMW X5 for a while - the odometer didn't work correctly and there were interior gaps with visible wiring large enough to fit your hand into. I owned an A3 myself and while I loved the premium design and relaxed engine the thing clunked like crazy from the suspension and cost 3x as much for an oil change as the car I owned before and after it...

IMO the big three spend big $$ of advertising and doe skin leathers but the vehicles themselves are mostly living off borrowed glory from the halo models and the brand cachet effect. If you like some euro panache Volkswagen & Skoda have plenty to offer otherwise I would stay with the Japanese cars which are resoundingly impressive on the whole. Koreans are getting there but the drivetrains still feel a generation behind to me.

hammer and TMNT like this.
  7. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with all of the above.
    The wife wanted a GLC model once we pay off the PPOR, so we went to have a look in spirits of making her excited and wanting to push harder towards the goal.

What a let down. Unless we go the 43 or 63 model, they are just junk.

We honestly felt like we'd be better off buying a top of the line Subaru for half the price.

8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

hammer likes this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

just goes to show, money doesnt buy you taste or class

and so many people are just sheep and follow and swear by what others tell them

I would never buy an entry level Merc/BMW

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

my mechanic who repairs european cars, has specifically told me to run faster than usain bolt away from any 7 series , especially the newer ones,

he even said, if I bought one, he would refuse to repair it because I will be forever at his garage getting it repaired,

11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I think you ARE better off with the Subaru. Genuinely nice cars.

12. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

We are definitely better off money wise. Can buy 2 Subarus for the price of 1 Merc. But money aside, the Subarus were just so much better in many ways.
    Considering we can get them at around 12-15% off RRP, makes it even sweeter (family discount).

I still want a C43 tho. Probably a bit more achievable than a C63 :p

13. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

And now have spent the last few days in a BMW 6 series (I'm on holidays).

It's an M car so it certainly goes like a shower of sh...... And because of that I can't really complain about the rough ride as that's kinda the point...but it still isn't screaming quality to me.

There's a few rattles here and there and bucket loads of plastic. The exhaust note doesn't scream happiness either. If it was the V8 M3 all would be forgiven... But it's a six and over 100k AUD.

I'm struggling to see the value.

14. lmac

lmac Active Member

I've driven the X6 which is the Crossover/whatever version of that car and the suspension was very harsh indeed. Didn't get to open the throtle but I was not a fan of the vehicle overall.

If you're after a luxury cruiser the Genesis G70 should rate a look. Haven't driven it myself as it's pretty new but the interior styling is done by an ex-Bentley designer and the overall package is well priced compared to the competition.

[​IMG]

geoffw likes this.