Blacktown,granny flat,tree cutting

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Nands, 17th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nands

Nands Member

Hello

We are planning to construct a granny flat at our property in Blacktown.There are a couple of non native trees in the backyard that need to be cut down for construction.I've been told that a tree application needs to be lodged with council.Just wondering how to best word the application for a favourable outcome.We are not intending to put in a DA through to council,so if I mention the real reason for tree removal I.e.granny flat development,it may get knocked back.We were hoping to go down the private Certifier path as it's quicker and efficient.Unfortunately would have to involve council for tree removal.What would be a clever and quick way to approach this issue?
    Any useful insights are greatly welcome!

2. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Definitely go through the process and have the trees remove before considering any granny flat application. We have some similar issues at North Ryde when building one.

It is important to find out what species of trees they are and get to know all the exemptions for tree removal. In our case we have a mixture of trees that were exempt (could be removed without an application) and others that were too close to an existing structure.

Perhaps call up a local tree lopper to give you a quote for removal - they generally know all the council rules applicable and when you need to lodge an application.

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Call a tree lopper. They'll be able to advise you.
    Trees can be cut down if they fall within certain parameters, e.g. Dead, etc.