Blacktown council tree removal approval

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by VicZ, 27th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. VicZ

VicZ Member

Hi,

We owned a property within blacktown council. there are 4 palm trees (about 5 meters high) on the side of the driveaway. Since we don't have a garage (converted to a bedroom), we park the car on the driveaway and the large dead leaves (they are quite heavy and hard) drop onto it as well as neighbour's roof. Also we have 2 young kids (1 yr old and 3 yrds old) running around. I am concerned they may get badly hurt should any leave drops onto them. Im thinking about removing them altogether. I pretty much have to clean the dropped leaves every week. There is another one palm tree sitting pretty much next to the house (less than 1 meter) and I am concerned it will affect the building foundation.

Any experience in getting the approval? Or suggestion in terms of reasoning for this? Thank you all.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Speak with the tree preservation officer and lodge an application.

3. VicZ

VicZ Member

thanks. will try.

are these legitimate concerns? this is our first house. never dealt with council before. some people say they will reject unless it's in dead or causing substantial danger to the house.

how does it get substantiated? it's a risk and it's on my cost to remove. it's a common seen palm tree. i don't see why it may get rejected.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They will want an arborists report about the health of the trees to justify the removal or suggest that you/landscaper prune the fronds on a regular basis ie manage the risk.

5. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

It depends on the species of Palm tree. I have a 5m tall Bangalow palm tree in the rear garden of a small inner city terrace and have applied to council twice for removal and been rejected both times.

Dropping of leaves is not good enough, even dropping of the seeds that may poison neighboring pets is not good enough. The tree has to be dead or a high risk of falling over before the council will allow removal.

But if you are lucky (?) you will have one of the pest species and then it's no worries, they'll let you take it out.

Good luck.