Entertainment & Music Black Metal

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Mombius Hibachi, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

I know it's highly unlikely, but anyone else here listen to black metal? I don't listen to a whole lot of stuff, but when it's good, oh man it's good!

Listening to Akhlys - The Dreaming I right now, so good. If you're interested, you can listen to it here:

2. Mombius Hibachi

For those of you who like your BM darker, you have to suss Abyssal. These guys are crazy. I would describe them as blackened death, so brutal. Freakishly technical. For me, they are the only decent BM to come out of England.

Check them out here: https://abyssal-home.bandcamp.com/

You will not be disappointed.

3. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure what the difference is between 'black' 'death' 'doom' metal etc. but I'm still kicking myself that I missed out on insomnium not too long ago.

My musical taste has very much diversified since I was a teenager (and even more since kids) but I still get goosebumps when I get a chance to crank up something heavy.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I don't mind some of it, mostly the older stuff. Not a fan of the screechy witchy vocals.
    But I do like me some death metals.

5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Classic.

I'm a metal fan from way back. Not massive on BM an in general but love a few albums/bands/songs. Elements of Black Metal infused with other styles is the ultimate. My favourite band: Agalloch and album:

I was pretty obsessed.

When I was 19 I ran a metal website (reviews, interviews, news, gigs photos etc). I had about 10 staff (all volunteer) writing for it at its height. I got picked up by some magazines to write for them as a result (also wrote and photographed for Sydney's Drum Media). I must have been to over 500 live shows in my time–almost all of them, for free. I started a metal record label and online store a few years later. Did well but the profit margins were pretty low and I shut it down to focus on my career a couple of years after I started working full time. Also played in some bands briefly.

I even made this:

I still listen to metal but my tastes have dramatically expanded.

Azazel likes this.
  6. Mombius Hibachi

Been listening to Bathory since I was 15, but never got into anything else until a friend introduced me to Funeral Mist's 'Salvation' album. Man that album is fantastic. Been getting into atmospheric stuff lately - Akhlys, Abyssal, Leviathan, Azavatar, Svartidauði. etc.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's what I mean, the old "black metal" like Venom, Celtic Frost, Possessed, Bathory, even early Slayer...
    I don't mind a little of Beherit, but the rest of the mid 90's 'Norwegian' scene or whatever is mostly a steaming pile.

8. Mombius Hibachi

Dude, I don't listen to any of that stuff either. A couple more that are really great are:

- Misþyrming (Iceland)
    - Mgla (Poland)

Azazel likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Cheers, I'll check them out. I haven't listened to any new metal for ages. I only like old nu metal ;)

10. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

Crickey..............I feel old - still in the dark ages here :eek:

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

@bbmick Black Sabbath was pretty evil when they 1st came out. A lot of metal bands would credit them as an influence, especially for the dark imagery.

12. smokyjoe

smokyjoe Well-Known Member

Wow. didn't expect to find a thread like this here. I wouldn't say I'm a big black metal fan, but I'm a metal fan. I like a lot of Prog Metal (Opeth in particular).

For an awesome Prog Black Metal band (from Melbourne no less!) check out Ne Obliviscaris.

Azazel likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Cool, used to like the Opeths quite a bit.
    Not a massive fan of their 70's rehashings.