Bill Shorten to address housing affordability at ALP national conference

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Coffee, 16th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

haha..that cracked me up :)

[​IMG]

datto likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Usually wearing the better quality flanno shirt (Target, not K-Mart), a little more tread left on the thongs (hard to spot but obvious once pointed out).

datto and BuyersAgent like this.
  3. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

and the '92 Commodore with 18 inch rims and a 12 inch subwoofer has been traded up for a '92 Commodore with 21 inch rims and 2x12 inch subs.

datto likes this.
  4. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

The rest are still shoplifters. He just hasn't caught them yet.

datto likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say 99.9% as a fair estimate.

So in actual fact he could grab any shopper passing by and the chances are some stolen item would be hidden in a pram, back pocket or even perched on an upper lip (it does happen around there):

[​IMG]

lol

wilso8948 likes this.
  6. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Maybe I need to arrange for you to give me a tour of the area when I am next in Sydney. I have already done one visit to the Mount Druitt area. Travelled by train from the city as I did not have car (flew in), so mainly walked the streets around the station. Will do 2nd visit in Jan. I am eyeing a 1,000 SQM block.

datto likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just have to ask ?,what does ""Mt Druitt Proper"" mean..

Must be the difference between drinking 2 cartoons of ""J---D"",or a town water home brew mental therapy session.. Gotta aim high Mate..

datto likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

And you didn't get mugged? Still have both kidneys?

I'll see what I can do Harry. Quarter acre fetches a bit of coin. 600 sqm is nearly half the price.

It's basically that area south of the train station down to The Great Western Highway. With Carlisle Ave running through the guts of it. Most of the larger sized blocks are located here. Quite rare to find say 900 sqm blocks to the north of the station.

That would be a morning session of course. Afternoon and evening sessions are more intense.

willair and Harry30 like this.
  9. HiEquity

HiEquity Well-Known Member

I like how BS has subtly moved the "affordability" conversation from the cost of purchasing (which is what everyone was talking about previously) to the cost of renting, now the heat is out of the main markets. The cost of rent is always where this topic belonged, if we are talking about helping people in genuine hardship.

It's also something the govt can influence to a greater degree for those who really need social housing.

The idea that houses should be affordable for people to buy always had me scratching my head. Unless you're that person who wants to buy one of course but that's no reason to change government policy...

Smart politics and nobody seems to have noticed the bait and switch, I'll give him that...

10. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed that. 1,000 SQM blocks are in the $800k territory. Drop drop down to 600-750 SQM and the prices drops more than proportionately. Assume this reflects developer interest, and these are ripe for the 4 unit developments. Typical streets have the old house next to the new build (see photo). I only looked south of the train line when I visited. Will search further afield when I am next there. Also, while many of the houses are rather scruffy, there were also many homes where the owners were immensely ‘House proud’ and kepts things in an immaculate condition. 636F48E4-79D8-488E-897D-3C6D247263C0.jpeg 9649A5D5-C2DC-432C-A8FE-3DA66AB59190.jpeg 5041508C-EB3D-4129-B272-0D58E33C4D8F.jpeg 636F48E4-79D8-488E-897D-3C6D247263C0.jpeg

Regarding safety in the area, I walked the suburb about 7pm at night, and I must say, I felt completely safe the whole time. Although there was a couple of things that struck me as odd. I did notice the security guard on the Westfield. Also, I was walking up one of the streets, and a small child playing in the front garden said, ‘Hey mate, nice mobile phone you got there’. I guess he was just being friendly. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Trevor Reznik and Archaon like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

The polite response would have been, "Hey kid, are they all your own teeth?"

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I liked how the presenter on 7:30 last night was throwing Australian housing prices at Shane Oliver and he was caught trying to deal with the Australia-wide figures that are completely out of sinc with the Sydneysphere.

13. DAZ79

DAZ79 Well-Known Member

Less expensive housing is always at the fringes and always populated by people who can’t afford to live in more desirable areas.

All this program is doing is trying to boost supply of properties that will be ring fenced for people on lower incomes. In addition, they will be managed by community housing providers which will help that industry and likely produce better outcomes for tenants and the local community.

And it may well attract investment for properties in better locations if community housing providers can guarantee no vacancy times.

People really need to retire the ignorant snobbishness regarding special purpose affordable housing that is rife in this country.

The reality is that the private market has never and will never create affordable options for everyone so that State must intervene. And that will be true as long one group of people earn more than another.

Eventually, Australian governments will simply have to start spending dollars on building social housing for the very poor ( we are miles behind other OECD countries) but this is an excellent start.

What was Scott Morrisson’s big idea? More supply will fix it. Well guess what, we have just come up one of the biggest construction booms in history, did it make housing any more affordable?

Joynz and abc like this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Getting more affordable by the day in Sydney and Melbourne.

This time next year and try will be down another 10% :D.

How low do they have to go before they become ‘affordable ‘?

craigc, MikeyBallarat and gman65 like this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Bit very low, If everyone could afford them, then on one will want them.

Strive for the unattainable, appeal to the aspirational punters.

kierank likes this.
  16. DAZ79

DAZ79 Well-Known Member

So the home ownership rate tops out at about 70%

Affordable home ownership opportunities are important. However, affordable housing is really about affordable rentals for those people who will never be in a position to buy or for whom buying is unsuitable and/or unaffordable ( e.g. divorced women in their 50s). No one needs to buy but everyone needs to at least rent.

Joynz, Scott No Mates and Angel like this.
  17. Scott No Mates

When you consider that ROI is 2-3% (excluding CG), renting is a reasonably affordable option vs purchase. A buyer has to stump up 10-20% deposit (which many renters don't have), but are also paying 4-5% of the balance just in interest (then add any principal payments and outgoings/costs).

kierank likes this.
  18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not cool. Who did this to her?

Last edited: 21st Dec, 2018
  19. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Well it seems that if you have to work casual, have a brand new car, latest iPhone, holiday in Bali, Netflix, Stan and all the latest things, that mythical price is about $500k in Sydbourne...so about that 50% crash they are hoping for because they don't want to change their lifestyle.

Any day now :rolleyes:

Toon, qak, MikeyBallarat and 3 others like this.
  20. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Oh yes. Stop bleating people. You don’t *have* to take overseas holidays. You don’t *have* to keep up with all the latest expensive consumables. Most importantly - you don’t *have* to live in bloody Melbourne or Sydney either!

Toon and Archaon like this.