Health & Family Biggest Loser Winter 2017

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 31st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 158

158 Well-Known Member

It's that time of year again! The 2nd edition of PropertyChat Biggest Loser.

After a reasonably successful first edition here: PropertyChat "Biggest Loser" Challenge , I have again decided to run another challenge.

This year we will follow similar format as last year's challenge. Participants will initially 'weigh in', and then for 10 weeks (not 12 like last year, just a bit too long) will weigh in weekly on Monday morning, which I will record and post weekly progress of participants.

Without going into the debate about BMI again, the same format as last year will apply this year; measuring weight and height to ascertain BMI, and then that's how we will record the weight loss percentage and track progress. People will still be able to freely to track their other measurements in their weekly post should they so wish.

The rules are simple:
    1. In this thread, post the following 3 things: Your starting weight (This will be your base weight for the challenge). Your current height (as I will include a 'BMI' cell in the spreadsheet among weight loss percentages and weekly loss/(gain) tables). Why you are competing in the challenge (This bit can be as simple or complex as you like).
    2. Each Monday, I will create a weekly 'Loser' thread where each member updates their current weight and most importantly, what they did right or wrong during the week that contributed to their loss/(gain).
    3. The challenge will start Monday 05/06/17, and continue for 10 weeks to Monday 14/08/17 where the PC member who has the greatest weight loss percentage will be crowned the "Biggest Loser". No other metrics will be considered for the winner, however you may like to include them in your initial and weekly bio to record your success.
    4. There are no weight penalties or eliminations like the show.
    5. No prizes, just the satisfaction of weight loss - the best prize of all.

Personally, I got down to just above 80kg last year (lost 10kg), but have since let that slip as it was unsustainable to be that 'light' as I just shed muscle mass and lost a lot of power cycling. This year, I aim to just lose the fat, most likely retain more leaner muscle mass, and be a more powerful rider. Im looking to also incorporate some different exercise other than cycling, however now sure if it will be some weights, yoga (or the like) and/or swimming.

So, with just a few days until initial weigh in this Monday, its time to start finishing off the rest of the sweets and nice foods in the house, and get shopping for a better balanced diet starting Monday. It would be good to get a gauge on interest from now until initial weigh in Monday, and perhaps kick off discussion with ways to tackle the next 10 weeks.

pinkboy

Last edited: 31st May, 2017
    Chris Au, Esh, Savy mum and 8 others like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm in - I lost nearly 40kg between Sep 2015 and Jul 2016 by changing the way I eat (LCHF), but then plateaued and maintained that weight for the next 6 months - which I'm not unhappy about.

This year I've started to creep back up again - mostly due to being a bit lazy with my eating and a few of the old habits (read: junk foods) have crept back in.

I have another 25kg or more to lose to get even remotely close to my ideal weight - I'll be happy to lose 15kg in the short term - that will get me back down below the weight I was when I finished high school (27 years ago). I'm already below the weight I was when I got married - which was my first real goal.

I've made some adjustments to my eating starting the beginning of last week and have already dropped nearly 3.5kg in the first week alone. I'm hoping to gain some real momentum here so that I can blast past my previous low from July last year and continue on down to where I need to be.

I was thinking I might post a daily journal detailing exactly what I'm eating (including the stuff I shouldn't be!!) and what exercise I'm doing so that people can see what's working (hopefully!) for me.

My other goal along with lowering my weight, is to reduce my waist size (which I believe is possibly even more important in men given that's where we tend to accumulate most of our fat) ... I'd love to get that down below 100cm. More specifically, a lot of stores stock mens pants which top out at 102cm waist size - I want to be able to walk into any store and try on anything they have in store (and have it fit comfortably!) - something I've not been able to do since I was in school.

Redwing, WattleIdo, Phase2 and 3 others like this.
  3. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I'm in. The only competition I would've won in the last 12 months since my separation is eating for Australia. I have a lot to lose but being so vertically challenged, each kilo makes a noticeable difference.

Esh and 158 like this.
  4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I'd take part, but I've got the opposite problem. I've lost too much weight (about 32kg since this time last year), and need to gain about 2-3kg of muscle back. Happy to take part in the thread though, and encourage/help out based on my experience.

sharon likes this.
  5. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

I'm interested in joining this time. Although it's not so much weight that I want to lose, but fat/waist size.
    But hey, a bit of public monitoring/competition is never a bad idea.

@Simon Hampel - no chance of a premium membership for the winner? ;)

6. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

I started the challenge last time but then dropped out - apologies for that - just did not enjoy it when I wasn't putting in and getting any results.

Really keen to join again and will commit to the end this time - need something to motivate me.

Be something if I could lose some kilos through this.

Phase2 likes this.
  7. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I'm keen to take part again though for the first time in a long time I can say I'm pretty close to what I think my goal weight is. Towards the end of last year I had a bit of a lapse but gave myself a good talking to and got back on track. Made me realise that I'll probably always have some kind of issue with food even if I think I'm 'cured'.

I'm currently sitting low 60's but would love to see a consistent 5 in front of my weight. I'd also like tone up a bit more and get rid of some leftover wobbly bits which I'm in the process of doing but not too sure how successful I'll be. As it stands now I've lost around 40kg so some of the wobbly bits would have to do with the (lack of) elasticity of my skin but I can only try!

trinity168, WattleIdo and Phase2 like this.
  8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Motivation comes from within young grasshopper. :p

Seriously though, if you (or anyone else here) is struggling for motivation maybe you need to think about the reasons you want to do this. Write them down and then think about "why" you chose those reasons, then after writing them down, think about 'why' for each of those answers.

Repeat this until you get stuck, or you're cursing me for doing "this stupid why-thing". Chances are that when you look at the last lot of answers there'll be a couple that really stand out to you. Circle them, underline them, re-write them if you wish..

These should be your focus, or your purpose, for whatever diet/eating/exercise regime you undertake.

My focus points ended up being:
    - Making the most of my time with family now AND maintain my health and mobility into old age.

To do this I had to:
    1. Get my health back (I was constantly stressed and sick with every cold/flu etc going around)
    2. Stop getting injured (twisted this, sprained that, sore back etc)

Of course I wanted to lose weight, and I had an idea of how I wanted to look, but ultimately when I shifted my focus to what really mattered, and why I was doing this, I stopped caring so much about how many kilos or inches I was losing each week.

Sackie, 158 and Perthguy like this.
  9. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Wow 3 people posting here saying they lost 30-40kg over the past 2 years. That's an mind blowing amount of weight - well done!

Something that does not occur to most people is moving from a weight loss phase to a maintenance phase so that you don't just end up yo-yoing over the next few decades. I think support group would be great at that time.

Also, I saw Roseanne Bar as a guest in a sit-com the other day and I had to check she was in the credits for that episode because she is so small I could not believe soeone of that size could be get to be so small. Totally blew me away.

Esh likes this.
  10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

in.

158 likes this.
  11. Lightning

Lightning Member

Yeah I'll have a go, just a few weeks into a round of 5:2, did it last year and lost 10kg but put most of it back on.

158 likes this.
  12. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I will have a go.

158 likes this.
  13. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Can't do this one.
    My weight has consistently been 78kg at 183cm +/- 1kg every week for the past 12 months, with the exception of a 2-3kg dip in a highly overworked period, but bounced back soon after.
    Don't count calories or watch diet, but it just balances out at the end of the week.
    Actually slightly gaining lately due to high intensity sprinting and putting some size on the glutes, hams and quads.

Good luck to those who do take part.
    Consistency is ALL that matters, nothing else matters if you don't have this.

WattleIdo, Perthguy and 158 like this.
  14. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Count me in. I'm training for my next trip. I'm cycling and running for exercise. Would like to lose 2-3 kilo before I go.

Was relatively lazy the last 4-5 months so would like to lose some weight.

158 likes this.
  15. Mitchell

Mitchell Active Member

I'll come out of the woodwork to participate in this. Nothing like a bit of competition to keep motivation levels up.

158 likes this.
  16. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Great work Sim

Look forward to seeing this

17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Made my salad.
    Found my batteries.

18. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Reminder all for your weight in today!

I'll kick off. I'm 87kg neat (lost 4.7kg in last few weeks) and 180cm tall.

pinkboy

19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'm in

158 likes this.
  20. jim1964

jim1964 1941

6 Foot 5 and a alf, and 126K. :)

158 likes this.