Health & Family "Biggest Loser" Week 3 Weigh In.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 27th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

79.4. I think smack on where I started (I missed last weeks thread).

Didnt see the gym, or even a pair of running shoes for the last 2 weeks. Except for 2 games of tennis. Add in a couple of nights beer drinking (not many 2-3 each night).

I hurt my back so was struggling the last few weeks. Ill get into the gym tonight for something light to warm my back into again.

Blacky

2. srirang

srirang Well-Known Member

97.2 again for me. Back to where I was 2 weeks ago. Those leftover cupcakes from my son's birthday party didn't help.

Back to running this week

3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

This morning was 92.6kgs (loss of 1.3kgs). Annoyingly I was 91.9kgs on Friday. My scales hate me.

Bayview, WattleIdo, Player and 3 others like this.
  4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Great job, but don't worry about the daily fluctuations too much.
    You'll get it next week.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've picked a selection from going through my diary of choices that I enjoy and eat often -

Brekky (we have this most mornings lately as hubby loves these)
    1 banana, 2 egg, cinnamon pancake (no other ingredients)
    coffee with milk and 1 sugar
    50g Greek Yoghurt on top of pancakes

This fills me up and often I don't eat lunch until after 1.

Lunch
    1 large zucchini (about 1.5 cups in total) cut via swirler into "pasta" - topped with
    3 tiny stuffed red peppers stuffed with feta (prob 1 tablespoon feta) in oil chopped
    coffee with milk and 1 sugar
    (I have this sometimes with tablespoon of pesto swirled through and sometimes slice of jarlsberg or grated cheese melted on top.)

or... Banana chopped with 50g yoghurt
    150ml cup milk with Cadbury drinking choc and half teaspoon sugar

or... Leftover roast vegetables (sometimes cold with a dollop of mayo mixed in and lettuce)

Dinner
    We often have roasted vegetables (sweet potato, pumpkin, zucchini, broccolini, carrot, asparagus)
    or
    Small piece steak and coleslaw made by me (just cabbage and tablespoon mayo), tomato

If the men in the house are having gnocchi which I love but tend to avoid, I'll have a cut up banana and 50g greek yoghurt or something similar.

I'm very happy just grazing rather than sitting down to a huge meal.

I rarely stuff myself until I'm uncomfortable.

I also usually only have one coffee a day, with brekky. I take a probiotic daily and magnesium when I think of it, an antioxidant and salmon oil capsules. My cholesterol is high, but I suspect that is a genetic thing, more than from my diet?

If I feel like a little chocolate, I'll have a few squares. Often it is just a small taste that I'm craving and I record it all. I fear if I stop recording what I eat, I'll eat way more. It is very easy to record and the benefit far outweighs any downside.

I may get slammed for what I'm eating, but I'm interested to know whether what I consider a fairly good diet is right, or if I'm not seeing the forest for the trees?

Bayview and Perthguy like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think what you're eating is fairly sensible. To me it might have a bit too much sugar compared to other things. The one thing I'd be worried about is protein - the eggs, yoghurt and steak add up but for me I'd be replacing some of the carby veggies like pumpkin and sweet potato for more protein.

It would be interesting to see how your ratios are on a day like that - grams of carbs, sugars, fats, protein etc

I think a banana + yoghurt is not much better than some gnocchi. I'd have some gnocchi but mix it with the zuchini spirals you make.

I'm curious about the pancake - cos it sounds yumm - is it just mashed up banana, cinamon and 2 eggs - like a sweet omelette?

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Westminster. That is certainly something to think about and ask the nutritionist. The FatSecret site and app does break down the daily consumption into a piechart showing carbs, fat and protein, so I do watch that piechart too. I guess once I've seen the nutritionist I can tweak what I'm eating and that piechart will become more important for me.

The pancakes are lovely. Mash one banana with a fork (still lumpy though - depending on how you like it), add two eggs and few shakes of cinnamon and whisk it with the fork until it is runny.

I use a large cast iron griddle that sits over my fish burner but could also straddle two individual gas burners. I use a little coconut oil to grease the pan and then just cook it in batches. One banana and two eggs gives about a dozen small pancakes or pikelets. My hubby is hooked on this and it makes for what I think is a healthy brekky.

Sometimes I add one square of 85% Lindt chocolate (10g = 52 calories) and it chop that into small pieces and it gives a sweeter taste.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

97kg (-1 kg), 100.5cm waist (-1cm). Under a metre for my waist, which will be good.

I put this down to 3 days of demolition. That's hard manual labour which I imagine would burn a lot of energy. I felt like I was using a lot :)

9. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

@wylie your meals sound pretty good... A lot better than mine.

So far today I've had two eggs on toast, a garden salad and am in the middle of an apple. Dinner will be whatever James has made. This is a good day for me..

Most days I won't have proper breakfast and instead have a shake as I'm running out the door and miss lunch because I'm too busy doing other stuff. I've always been like this, although before I didn't binge as much which is why I wasn't fat. But alas, here I am and I have no idea how to eat properly. The thought of eating more actually makes me sick, part of me knows it will be much better for me and make it easier to lose all this weight, the other is scared I'll just get fatter. :(

Bayview likes this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

My breakfast is either cereal or toast with kaya jam. Lunch usually rice + on protein + veggies (kale or brocolli), plus snacks all over the day. Dinner today might be mi goreng...

@Lil Skater Your meal sound very reasonable...

How long have you been feeling this way - re that you might get fatter if you change your diet? I can relate... maybe change one thing at a time, took quite a while until I start eating properly. Your other brain need to start feeling confident that eating well will not make you fat :(

11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

80kg's and 34" waist - same a last week...no change.

Did zero (relatively) in terms of exercise; only the usual work tasks, and another dawn 9 holes on Sun - on my own, no-one in front, carrying the bag at a fast clip (so I didn't freeze over; golf ball was gathering ice as it rolled along the grass :eek:).

Feeling guilty for not making more effort - especially on the wine and chocolate quota.

12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

106.9kg :(
    300g gain, but I was expecting to a bad week as I mentioned in the other thread. I'll get back on the horse this week though.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

140.1 Slowly, slowly

14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

106.8kg. That's a 2kg loss, with an overseas trip thrown into last week.

I'm focussing on bodybuilding type training with muscle gain/strength a priority to increase my resting metabolic rate, but also aid in work (which is suprisingly physical in awkward ways). I'm keen to improve my stance and posture. An apparent change in 'physique' usually takes about 3 weeks of consistent training, and I've hit it again - so I'm looking forward to the next 3. Best of all, tonight my work out felt a better quality. My squats felt like I was engaging the right muscles, and in other exercises, my weight limit has increased already which is great - more work for the same effort.

Rather than purely increasing in muscle like I did years ago, I'm supplementing this with increased incidental exercise (eg choosing stairs, going for walks or active things with the kids instead of focussing on 'going out for lunch'). I am poised to increase cardio again, even if its just walking with the dog.

Diet is a massive, and easy change. I've basically cut unnecessary carbs - not pathologically, just choosing alternatives if/when. I have access to a free, chef made lunch and dinner trough at work - i can pick and choose and put something half healthy together here. If I'm desperate, Ill have a bite of bread, no biggie, but Ill eat half instead of a full amount. I've increased my protein intake - especially at breakfast time, with great effect on my hunger levels. This has coincided with my wife making an decision to change also (separately, and without discussion), so we have greatly increased our veges, have gone back to low fat meats on the BBQ, and avoiding desserts (I'm still having some low SUGAR yoghurt (greek) and frozen berries at night). And no alcohol for days.

Consistency was an issue this week, but I'm supremely motivated. Furthermore, and I've long suspected it's from the carbs, or a component therein, I feel heaps better. Less sick. Less anxious. Perhaps more energetic - lets see, and certainly less irritable (that's massive for me!)

Anyway, Ill take 2kgs a week :) Importantly, I'm avoiding being hungry as far as possible - Ill have a glass of water, snack on some almonds, or have a proper meal. I think this is really important for sustainability, but it's early days so let's see.

Lil Skater, JamesGG, Perthguy and 5 others like this.
  15. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

For everyone here, I highly recommend using a good quality activity tracker. There are some good ones now with wrist-based heart-rate monitors. They track your general movement, provide movement reminders and also have dedicated activity modes for walking/hiking, running, cycling, swimming, etc. I track steps, distance walked, floors climbed/descended, heart-rate, sleep-patterns.

I'm a Garmin fan and have a Fenix 3 HR. The new vivoatcive HR is also great ( a couple of friends have it ). The Garmin connect app is a bit clunky but usuable. Battery life is quite good.

158 likes this.
  16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I can't wear anything on my wrists, but I like the concept 'that which is measured improves' (aka Hawthorn effect).

I use a garmin on my bike.

Edit: oops - I see it was titled 'for everyone'! :)

17. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

No weigh in for me this morning....It's been a rather eventful 48hrs which included a broken down vehicle and being stranded in the bush overnight, not eating for ~24hours, walking ~15k's of 30 to the nearest town, finding a way back home and getting vehicle #2 to drive back and rescue stranded vehicle.....

Aaaaaanyway, I weigh and record myself everyday usually and Saturday was my last weigh in which was a nice even 65kg. I can weigh myself tomorrow but I did have pizza when we eventually got home tonight....

18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

My thoughts too
    Id have a careful look at your protein @wylie

19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Sam - your typed words could be me. Psychologically I have huge issues around eating. One of the good things I found was working out my daily allowances and ratios and making it a challenge to meet them - the permission it granted me really helped but for the past few months I've slipped back into terrible habits of eating erratically and being too conscious. A month or so ago, hubby wanted to get junk food for dinner and wanted to eat it there and my immediate reaction was "noo I can't eat it THERE". He was perplexed - I had to explain that I feel super conscious if I eat bad food in public because I feel judged (like "omg we know why she's fat"). He did look at me as if I was crazzzzy.
    I can see why people choose to do LightnEasy because it's all prepared for them but their meal plans don't really suit what I need - too much grains/wheat for me.

JenW, EN710 and WattleIdo like this.
  20. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I've got the Xiaomi 1s. It's got a step counter and a heart rate monitor. I've got it set to take my pulse every minute and the battery lasts around two weeks like that and recharges in less than an hour. Not bad for $25!

wombat777 likes this.