Health & Family "Biggest Loser" Week 2 Weigh In

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 19th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

True.

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I use an app that tracks a weighted average. A good indicator. Of course it lags the actual weight. This one is an iOS app called 'True Weight' ( True Weight on the App Store ).

I weigh myself first thing each morning to try and get consistent results.

The drop of several kg through late March and April occurred when I was trekking in South American for a month and didn't have access to my scales. The big drop in the last two days is due to running 5km Sunday and 10km on Monday.

I went off the rails at the end of May!

FullSizeRender.jpg

3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Just found a soft tape measure.
    Waist for the record at around 78.5kg is 32" at belly button in a relaxed pose.
    31" at narrowest part, but belly button will be more consistent for future measurements.

Experts are now claiming that your Waist/Height Ratio (WHtR) is a far more accurate way of measuring healthy weight than the traditional Body Mass Index (BMI).
    Waist to Height Ratio Calculator: 'Better' bet than your BMI

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2016
    devank, Joynz, Redwing and 3 others like this.
  4. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Oooh, I like that a lot Ace - while my BMI is in the overweight category, apparently my WHtR is in the healthy range - yay!!

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Week three had involved plenty of beer, wine and cheese so far. Need to pull myself out of bed and on to the bike in the mornings.

158 likes this.
  6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

State of Origin: baked nachos, potato salad, chips, nuts, beers, cake.
    I may be in trouble for the next weigh in!

Hodor likes this.
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Very late, but I weighed in at the gym on Tuesday after work:
    80.80kg.
    This thread probably just stopped it going the other way with motivation during Winter.

Sackie and Perthguy like this.
  8. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Was doing well despite having mentally written off this week - until mr mooze bought me 2 blocks of Cadburys due to it being a "difficult" week (toddler in quarantine). I avoid buying this type of food at the supermarket as that's where my self control strength lies (and it's one point of contact). Once it's in the house I'm toast, the kids (and this week inability to exercise) provide many low/weak moments.

I'm grateful for the thought but could have done without an enabler this week.
    How do others deal with enablers? Where's your point of weakness foodwise?

wylie and JenW like this.
  9. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Commiserations mooze. I'm the same. If I'm tired, unwell, or have had a bad day, I really hang out for anything sweet - chocolate is always good, but anything with sugar in it will make me happy. Mr Jen is usually pretty good and doesn't buy that kind of stuff, because he knows I'm a sucker for it. However I work with people who firmly believe in eating away their sorrows, so they can be tough to manage! I mostly grit my teeth and try to smile while saying, 'Thank you but I don't want any'.

10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

100% agree. For me, healthy eating habits start in the supermarket. If I buy it I will eat it, so I try to make healthy choices on the spot. My weakness is baked sweets (buns and biscuits mainly). However, if I don't see it, I don't want it. So I will probably just avoid those areas in the future.

Sackie likes this.
  11. Ace in the Hole

My weakness is more savoury than sweet.
    Wife bought some big bags of honey soy slow cooked chips last week. I opened a bag planning to eat some, maybe 1/3rd, but couldn't stop and ate more like 2/3rds.
    Only thing that stopped me was that the bag was just over 1000 calories, which is about 1/2 my daily consumption recently, so an extra 1000 would not be good.
    Those calories can add up super quick....

Another good reason for those wanting to get in control of their weight, you need to get very familiar with calories in and out and have a rough idea of your weekly totals.

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Me too, once it's in the house, it gets eaten, so I avoid buying it. My problem is that if Hubby comes shopping with me, I end up with stuff I don't want to buy.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Pretty proud of myself so far this week. Only water (how you going Ace?) and will keep that up.

Also no takeaway, up until last night when I had a girls night ;)

158 likes this.
  14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this coming weigh in is not going to be pretty. I've been sick as a dog with a hacking cough & my go-to food has Red Rooster Potato & Gravy. It just slides right down. That & some hot chips (only the soggy ones), is about all I've eaten. Anything else has made the coughing worse, so I've eaten a LOT of potato & gravy.

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Good girl....except for the girls night.:p

16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'll admit that I'm finding this difficult.

In my head, I'm still playing the first XV with a bit of loss of tone by choice. As in, if I wanted to be a super lean hunk then I'd just flick the switch and do it.

This is proving not the case, at all. Motivation is hard, recovery is harder (than it used to be), and food choices the worse. I don't think it's going to be easy at all.

I've had a fairly slack start, but given I've been on a work holiday and determined to try ALL the local cuisine, then I'll wear it (literally).

Anyway, today is always a new day, plus back in Brisbane. Fatigued after a red eye, but no other excuse.

17. Ace in the Hole

Good job there, you should definitely post great numbers this week.
    I just couldn't do it any longer.

18. Ace in the Hole

Had a carb binge yesterday which I'll do once a week on my toughest workout day.
    Weighed in at 80.0kg this morning, up from 78.4kg on Monday morning !
    Hoping I'll be back below 78.4kg in a couple days time.
    Still getting stronger and lighter.
    Yesterday did an easy 150kg x 5 for 3 set on conventional deadlifts.
    Haven't done that for a while, but still more left in the tank to keep progressing.
    Will aim to get this to 170kg at the end of this 12 week challenge, 9 weeks to go.

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Ace in the Hole

Guessing your work environment/conditions is making this really tough for you.

Up until 6 months ago, I had been trying to get motivation for over a decade and just couldn't stay committed for more than about 8 weeks before another long lay off.
    Have always had substantial home gym set ups with all equipment required, so no excuses there.
    The hardest part is starting all over again.

However, at the start of this year I joined scheduled group training sessions doing 4 sessions/week.
    From a few weeks ago upped it to 6, although 2 of those are double sessions, so still 4 times a week.
    This is the only thing that has worked for me and I've only missed 2 sessions in 6 months.

Also, diet has always followed training for me.
    Once you start training, diet automatically falls into place as your you'll know that it would be crazy to sabotage good training with crap diet.
    So I'd advise that once you get some regular training scheduled and consistent, the results will follow.

Keep at it.

Bran likes this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A little bird told me that there was not much work done on that work holiday... but you managed to fit in an awful lot of eating :p:D.

Bran likes this.