Big tree on my yard dropping branches on neighbour

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by scientist, 16th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, what's my legal liability here if there's a big tree on my land, but right next to the fence, dropping large branches on the neigbour's yard? In terms of property damage and personal injury? And how does it interact with a typical building insurance policy that has a public liability cover?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of the legal position, I'd be having any overhanging branches lopped.

RS Gumby likes this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@scientist, I believe you are covered by insurance but check with your insurance company.

With regards to lopping the tree, that will depend on type of tree, any Council restrictions (such as NALL), ... Best to check with your Council.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you are aware of a problem, most insurance policies stipulate you have an obligation to minimise risk.

Check with your insurance company to confirm cover.

In any case, lopping would be a good idea. If council reluctant, get their refusal in writing, which will prove you tried to solve the problem.
    Marg

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Council would likely approved limb removal or tree removal with evidence of the issue. Photo time.

They often will explain its a healthy tree and shouldn't be trimmed or removed etc but when faced with the choice of being personally liable for negligence they often are encouraged to approve the request. Make sure you are there when they site inspect so you can verbally address that issue.

Many arborists will handle the process or quote so the council knows the species and issue and know how to describe a widow maker (a gum tree)

mr500 likes this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Alternatively, I have a massive gumtree in the neighbour's house overhanging and raining havoc on my IP. I mean who the hell grows gumtrees in their (very small) backyard in an urban, near CBD suburb?

Have no idea what I can do/say to have that tree brought down/severely lopped.

7. Paul@PAS

In writing using reg post addressed to the owner. Explain your concern about injury, damage, death etc and ask they consider pruning / removing to limit their / your liability risks

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Lol. Sounds perfect. Think I might type up a letter tonight. Bit concerned about perennially ******* them off though bc we may be moving into that property later this yr.

9. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

10. Paul@PAS

Which basically says little other than providing a possible resolution process for a dispute. Dont assume there is a dispute. And many trees are excluded from some scope of the Act. Eg if you move in after the trees. But common law remedies for negligence remain an avenue to have the risk addressed.

Most people will realise that if they could be held liable they seek to remove the risk before they get sued.

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You will be liable.

Perp likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why did Council allow housing so close to a tree?