big roots from council trees on nature strip damaged pipes brick fence, driveway.would council pay?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 2nd Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Big roots from council trees on nature strip damaged pipes brick fence, driveway.would council pay?

a handyman said they woujld if i talk to them nicely

But 3 plumbers who i talked to re leak frm damaged pipes from tree roots said they would not pay that i'd never succeed.

itsnot just the leak its my brick fence, my driveway and the recent leak all from large tree roots from natures strips

Thank you

2. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

has anyone had experience positive or negative with council reimbursing for damage from big tree roots from council trees planted on nature strip?

3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

My council sent a letter saying they were going to plant trees all up my street. I looked up the trees and they grow to 30m tall and 15m wide with a 1m trunk.
    I sent them an email saying that if it damaged my new fence or driveway, I'd be claiming cost from them (amongst other things).
    They planted trees all up the road except in front of my house. Only one remains though.. the rest were pulled out by the residents. Such a waste of money.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What type of trees?

5. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

It was going to be a mix of 'weeping Lilly pilly' and some massive one I forgot the name of. Was bloody huge.. and would have blocked out all my afternoon sun.
    Thinking back.. it might have been a good idea. Would block out the 22 story apartments they're about to build 200m from my house :/

But further to the OP - speak to your council. You won't know the answers until you ask them / demand fix.

6. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen to me about 18 months ago. We're in Boroondara, VIC. We have a huge oak (?) tree on the nature strip outside our place. The roots grew into one of our pipes and blocked it which caused our place to flood. Had to have the skirting boards sanded and repainted, the tiles and carpet professionally cleaned and dried. We wrote to Council to seek compensation but they refused. Their argument was that there must have already been a crack in one of the pipes on our side of the boundary. Given roots always look for water, it was apparently our own fault for not having the pipes fixed (it would have been impossible for us to have known the pipes needed fixing). Whether the crack was there first or the roots caused the crack... well... will be impossible to prove either way... Anyway, needless to say, very frustrating, especially given the thousands we pay in council rates every year. Good luck...

7. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

This will vary depending on the jurisdiction, however a lot of Council's have their civil liability heavily limited by legislation (eg the Civil Liability Act 2003 in Queensland). This legislation often makes it very difficult to pursue Council for property damage and is the first place I would be looking before going too far with a complaint against Council.

Joynz likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My mate has had 10+ trees installed by council outside his place. Each one gets pulled out. All his neighbours have tall gums that drop bark, sticks, gumnuts and leaves endlessly. No shade just rubbish from the trees.

My council asked first in case you object. I returned the form with No marked. They skipped us.
    Councils never place decent trees.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Why not just request the kind of trees you like?

I would be livid if my neighbours were pulling newly planted trees out.

It annoys me that my Council doesn't plant big enough trees. Who wants a boring ornamental pear tree.

If we are serious about combatting the heat island effect and making our streets walkable, we have to have proper shade trees on our streets, not just in parks.

In Melbourne the 'leafy' suburbs like Toorak, with trees spreading in an arch across the road, are also the expensive suburbs.

Marg4000 likes this.